• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Write-up -- Installing Cruise Control in your 97+ XJ

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
This Writeup will try to explain how to install the cruise control setup in XJs not already equipped with cruise control.

The same steps can be used for removing the cruise control setup from the donor XJ.

Tools Needed
  • 5/16" Deep Socket
  • Torx Bits
  • Steering Wheel Puller

Parts Needed from a donor XJ
  • Vaccum Actuator (located on passenger side fender behing battery)
  • Cable Setup that runs from the actuator to the TB
  • Clock Spring from an XJ with the switches (airbag can not be deployed from donor)
  • Both Switches from steering wheel

DISCONNECT THE GROUND WIRE AND HOT WIRE FROM THE BATTERY FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS BEFORE BEGINNING WORK

1) Remove the above parts from the donor XJ
**Switches vary from 97-98 and 99-01**
2) Attach the actuator to the passenger side of the engine compartment. The actuator attaches with three 5/16" bolts. The holes are already in the side of the fender. (Jeep was nice enough to do that for us.)

downsized_1029091439.jpg

3) Run the actuator cable around the back side of the cooling bottle. The cable is secured using one of the coolant bottle support bolts

1029091439a.jpg

4) Squeeze the plastic mount through the center hole of the cable mounting bracket (noted byORANGE BOX). The cable will mount on the knob on the throttle body bracket between the throttle cable and the other cable closest to the throttle body (noted by the RED BOX.

downsized_1029091439b-1.jpg

5) Move into the cabin of the jeep. Remove the Airbag by removing the two 5/16" bolts from the backside of the steering wheel.

6) Using your torx screwdriver remove the two torx head screws from the back side of the "blank" switches (where your new switches will mount)

downsized_1029091440a.jpg

7) Remove the airbag pack and the "blank" switches. Unplug the wiring going to the air bag.

downsized_1029091440.jpg

8) Using the steering wheel puller (which you can rent from any auto parts place) follow the instructions for the puller. Screw the supplied bolts into the two holes on the steering wheel. using the correct sized socket, tighten the shaft until the steering wheel pops off the shaft. The steering wheel should only mounton the shaft one way.
here is how the steering wheel puller should mount.

downsized_1029091448.jpg

here is what it will look like without a steering wheel

1029091449.jpg

9) With the steering wheel removed remove the plastic cover along the bottom of the ignition so you can get to the wiring of the clock spring. Unplug all wiring going to the clock spring.

1029091503.jpg

10) Pull out the stock clockspring and replace it with the new clockspring
with the wiring for the switches.

downsized_1029091505.jpg

Make sure you put the new clockspring in the same way the old one came out.

11) Remount the steering wheel and slide the wiring through the steering wheel. To remount the wheel just slide it over the shaft and tighten down the wheel as tight as you can.

downsized_1029091517.jpg

Make sure you put the plastic shield in behind the steering wheel (between the wheel and the clockspring, otherwise you will have to take the wheel back off to put this cover on, ask me how i know lol

12) Attach the wiring to each switch, the longer wires go to the left side of the wheel (the switch that says ON-OFF and Set) the shorter of the wires go to the right.

downsized_1029091517a.jpg

13) Using the torx screw from before attach the switches to each side.
Your steering wheel should look like this at this point

downsized_1029091520.jpg

14) Reattach the airbag pack to the center of the wheel the exact same way it came out. Reuse the same 5/16" bolts. When you are done you should have a wheel that looks like this

downsized_1029091523.jpg

You should be all set. reattach the battery cables start the jeep from the passenger side to ensure the airbag doesnt accidentaly deploy for any freak reason. Hit the on button on the switch and a green "Cruise" should light up at the top left of the dash.

Hope this helps someone out at some point

-Brendan

post up any questions you may have and i will do my best to answer them

Holy Crap, the inside of your jeep isn't covered in mud! :D

Nice Write up man!

Nice writeup, I have a suggestion for two things to add. Some airbag covers go all the way to the steering wheel rim, this will need to be updated. Also the clockspring should be kept centered, and recentered if unsure.

Are you sure the 97+ airbag covers do that, i havent seen any like that. and i put in the writeup that you should put the clockspring back in exactly the way it came out

I'm sure- just went through this. I also recentered my clockspring as it was rattling around in the back of my Jeep for about two weeks before it got installed.. because of the cover issue. Not sure but it may be a 97 only thing.

By hand the clockspring goes about 6 turns total, so just center it up at 3 if unsure.

Are you sure the 97+ airbag covers do that, i havent seen any like that. and i put in the writeup that you should put the clockspring back in exactly the way it came out

I believe the 97-98 airbags do this. Instead of your "blanks" the cover has "wings." I simply picked up a "blanks" airbag at the junkyard for 40 bucks when i did my cruise control in my 97.

Nice write up. My 2001 has the actuator already on it under the hood. I bought it from the original owner and they said it never had cruise on it...
Im hoping that when I pop the steering wheel cover the wiring is already there for the switches also :D

Ok will an actuator from a 94 work in a 97? i have a 94 sitting in the yard with cruise right now but not a 97 and is there a wire that you had to run from the engine compartment to the inside?

No. 94 through 96 steering wheels had a common design, but 97 and later have a new design. Also the writeup answers the question about wiring - the harness has everything you need, you just need to plug in parts on each end.

I have a 95' that I just bought a mopar factory cruise control kit for. Everything went together nicely, but it looks like I dont' have the servo wiring harness under the hood! The kit came with some wires and the connecter but no instructions! Any help?

Hey Brendan, Can I get the switches out without taking the airbag out?

No they are screwed or clipped to the wheel under the air bag.

Yeah thats what I figured, Oh well. don't need to do it right away anyways.

I have a 95' that I just bought a mopar factory cruise control kit for. Everything went together nicely, but it looks like I dont' have the servo wiring harness under the hood! The kit came with some wires and the connecter but no instructions! Any help?

I can't say that I have ever seen one (91-up) without the connector taped to the harness where the servo mounts. The wires would most likely run to the PCM connector if you have an overlay harness.

Ok will an actuator from a 94 work in a 97? i have a 94 sitting in the yard with cruise right now but not a 97 and is there a wire that you had to run from the engine compartment to the inside?

Yes if you cut the connector and splice it into your 97, that's the difference between the two.

If you had a 91-94 you could use the newer servo (97-01) with part # 5013979AB wiring harness adapter Jeep makes.

Yes it's possible to have one where the air bag extends down covering where the cruise control switches would be. Basically if you have blanking covers you can change them, if not you'll have to change the air bag and or cover with it.

Yes it's possible to have one where the air bag extends down covering where the cruise control switches would be. Basically if you have blanking covers you can change them, if not you'll have to change the air bag and or cover with it.

Yeah he knows. He's seen my old steering wheel. I was gonna do the swap on my old Jeep but a Mercedes ended that Idea.

DISCONNECT THE GROUND WIRE AND HOT WIRE FROM THE BATTERY FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS BEFORE BEGINNING WORK

This isn't necessary as long as the ignition key is off and you are not using air or impact tools to work on it although it maybe wise if you haven't worked around air bags before. I have seen someone deploy both air bags on a car before with all the right conditions (battery connected, ignition key on, and using a impact gun right next to the air bag module in a single point sensing system).

Back