• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee to Cherokee power steering pump

epd166

NAXJA Forum User
I have been reading in the forums about putting a '02 Grand Cherokee power steering pump from a 4.7 into a '97 Cherokee with a 4.0 to get extra power. I have read there is an extra return line to the reservoir that has to be plugged. Would the reservoir from the Cherokee fit the Grand's pump? I was thinking of just switching it out if it would work. If not, why will it not work? I have looked at pictures of the pumps side by side and they look the same. Anyone done this before? Thanks for the reply.

Thanks, but that doesn't really help since I already read that thread and all it says is a tank is needed....well DUH! I realize a tank is needed. Just want to know if they are interchangeable? Anyone out there switched power steering pump tanks? The reason why I wanted to know is the junk yard near me has the pump but the tank broke in the crash so a new one is needed. Thanks.

After reading this post i set out to do this swap on my 1990. I bought the reman pump from autozone pn 7145 with the tank. I found that the pumps are the same with the following exceptions: the mounting holes on the Grand's pump are smooth not threaded, the high pressure fitting is different but swapable from the old pump and the hole that the tank mounts is not the same between the pumps. You must use the GC tank. This swap can be done by swapping your high pressure fitting from the old pump to the Grand pump. You will have to find and use mouting bolts that run all the way through the front mounting bracket, through the pump and out the back of the mounting bracket. Also you will have to use the Grand's pulley because it has holes to run the mounting bolts through. If you use the old pulley you will have to pull the pulley every time you want to remove and install the pump. You will also have to use different high pressure hose do to the tank differences and don't forget to plug the second return to the tank. Hope this helps someone..... blaise
1990 pump
100_1968.jpg

2001 Grand Cherokee v-8 pump
100_1969.jpg

1990 High pressure fitting
100_1970.jpg

1990 pump mounting hole
100_1971.jpg

2001 GC mounting hole
100_1973.jpg

1990 pulley
100_1974.jpg

2001 GC pulley
5.jpg

I have been reading in the forums about putting a '02 Grand Cherokee power steering pump from a 4.7 into a '97 Cherokee with a 4.0 to get extra power. I have read there is an extra return line to the reservoir that has to be plugged. Would the reservoir from the Cherokee fit the Grand's pump? I was thinking of just switching it out if it would work. If not, why will it not work? I have looked at pictures of the pumps side by side and they look the same. Anyone done this before? Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if the tank will swap to your '97, but it wouldn't with the '90.

Back