• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose headlights

Atl-Atl

NAXJA Forum User
So ive been searching for a while now and have barely turned up any info. I replaced the header panel/whole front end of my 92 chero and the headlights are wobbly. It was in an accident so parts could very well have been missing. All I can find is that there is possibly a spring or a piece/block of plastic either of which could attach to the bottom of the headlight for the adjustment screws to work with to properly aim the headlight. Is this the case, how is my 92 supposed to work? My Haynes manual doesnt show squat nor can I find anything on this site or any similar site ;) or even google. Please help, I hate being the guy in everyones mirrors that has the bouncy headlights that drive you nuts!

Likely the springs or the plastic inserts the adjusting screws screw into. The inserts just kind of click in the sheet metal and could be just popped out and need to be pushed, clicked back into place.
While you have it apart, grease the threads on the adjsuting screws, a nice coat of white Lithium grease or copper grease. Lithium seems to repell water a little better than normal grease.
If I remember correctly the adjuster heads sit in a slot on the bucket and can also pop out.
The chrome ring (rim) behind the bezel around the headlight, holds the headlight tightly into the bucket assembly. The screw tabs get bent (or the welds pop) and the fit gets sloppy.
The 4 screws on the rim have also been know to rust or snap off, a little grease on the screw threads can also save some future grief. Greasing the screws that hold the bezel on and the marker light screws is also a good idea. I pull out the lithium grease everytime I service a tail or headlight, every scew gets a coat of grease. Makes next time a snap.
If you happen to strip the screw threads in the bezels or most anyplace, coat the screw with car wax let dry, (don't rub the powder off) fill the stripped hole with JB weld (or another epoxy or even super glue) and lightly screw the screw back in. Coating the screw with wax, will let you remove it again if you have too and you have a pretty good chance of the epoxy leaving some usuable threads in the hole, for the next try.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. But I think where im confused is the springs. Is there supposed to be a spring attached to the bottom of the headlight that connects to the header panel that holds pressure on the light downward, or are the two adjuster screws the only two things besides the wiring that is supposed to hold the headlight in place?

No there should be springs. If I remember right they hook to the headlight and the header panel on the bottom 1 and on the inside towards the radiator 2 on both lights. So both springs for the side should be towards the middle.

oh so there should be two springs on each headlight assembly, one on the other side of each adjustment screw? (so one on the bottom and one on the inside) and there should be corrosponding holes for each spring? I got an aftermarket header panel so it could very well be missing the correct holes and it came with no hardware. I salvaged everything that was on the old panel but all the springs may have been missing after a front end collision.

Yes but I think the HELP isle in your parts store should have them.

The adjusters have springs on them and are on the side and top of the bucket (I think, scratch head here). The tension spring is on the bottom of the bucket on the radiator side. I have a blow up of the headlight and housing assembly (bucket) but lack the skills to cut and paste it (adobe).
It may be quickest to find an XJ in the junk yard and have a look. Some of the orignal setup (I think it was originally designed for round headlights) is kind of an afterthought and the hookups for the springs and such are not real obvious.
This may help.
34erg3a.jpg

The arrow is where the spring hooks up. It's been awhile since I did a headlight and paid much attention.

Last edited:
Back