• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick ZJ question

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 97 4.0, auto, laredo, every once in a while it just ups and dies, usually as it's going thru it's first startup cycle of the day. Usually happens within the first 20 minutes of a cold start, just loses all power, bucks and can die sometimes, sits for a min or two and then starts right back up and is fine the rest of the day and nite. Driving me crazy. Reminds me of an old quarter horse I used to ride and barrel race, saddle her up, ride for a couple of minutes and then BAM, half dozen spins, hops and bucks then settled right down, had some GF's like that too.. :D :D :D it's not appreciated with the jeep though.

Weird.

Do you think it could have something to do with changing from open-loop to closed-loop?

Weird.

Do you think it could have something to do with changing from open-loop to closed-loop?

I don't think so, it had been running for about 20 min, noticed the tranny started acting funky, I was headed up a steep hill at the time, I left the gas pedal alone and crested the hill and started heading downhill, it evened out about a mile later and the problem went away. Yesterday it did it to the wife when she was following me over to performance driveline to drop the TJ off, it died about 6 miles from the house at a traffic light. Restarted on the second try. Maybe I will take it next week and give her the XJ. I hate auto trannies.

WHen I say steep hill I mean a PA steep hill not a rockies steep hill... :D :D :D

Does the ZJ have a separate TCU?

Could try unplugging it and see if it changes things.

Back