• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Driveline spacer

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I did search and can't really seem to come up with anything. I finally got my jeep back from getting my 8.8 swap and gears installed. Now all I need to do is order shocks and I would like to add a spacer between my TW driveshaft and the flange yoke on the 8.8. The pinyon is a little shorter on the 8.8 and I also moved the axle back 1.5" with the TNT ubolt eliminator kit. I still have plenty of engagement on my slip yoke but I would like a little more. Maybe an inch or so. Does anyone make a spacer or am I going to have to get one made?

let me know what you find, because i was thinking about just getting a new driveshaft made thats about 3"s longer (i have my DS from my 3.5" lift with an SYE)

I would think that as long as the bolts aren't too long, you can get away with whatever length you want... personally I would get a piece of 1.5" thick bar stock (scrapyard time!), throw it on a mill, bore holes large enough for the bolts (and sockets you intend to use!) down 1", bore the 11.5mm holes for the actual bolts at the bottom of those holes, then use an end mill to flatten out the bottoms, turn the material 45 degrees, then put 4 tapped holes in for the flange to bolt to. You will also need to bore out the pilot hole for the pinion nut on the 8.8. Pilot hole diameter is either 2" or 3.125" (measure the flange you have - 2" for a 1310 flange, 3.125" for a 1330 flange), the flange bolts are on a 4.25" circle and are 0.453" (11.5mm) diameter. The outer flange diameter is 5.219" for a 1310 flange or 5.156" for a 1330 flange if you want to make the spacer look pretty by matching its diameter to the flange.

EDIT: checked dana-spicer catalog J300P-2 for actual bolt hole diameters

why not use that iron rock spacer in conjunction with a longer YJ slip yoke?

why not use that iron rock spacer in conjunction with a longer YJ slip yoke?

Like I said, I already have a New TW driveshaft. I talked to josh at IRO and he said that they could be used upto 6 at a time. This would be at your own caution of course. He said that they had a guy using 4 of them for a total of 1" and it is working perfectly. This is probably what I will do.

Cant tell you off-hand where to buy one,but they do make spacers of at least 2".They do need to have both a male/female pilots for centering the hub!

Cant tell you off-hand where to buy one,but they do make spacers of at least 2".They do need to have both a male/female pilots for centering the hub!

I searched for quite a while yesterday and didn't come up with anything over .75" that you could buy as one piece. It would be nice to find something like that though.

How about welding up a stack of IRO spacers?

Good point. I forgot entirely about the male pilot to center the flange on the spacer. Guess a lathe AND a mill or drill press would be necessary...

I did end up talking to Josh at IRO and he assured me that he has a guy running 4 of them stacked for a 1" space. So I went ahead and ordered them, they should be here first part of the week. As far as welding them goes, I guess it would be okay for a trail rig but not for a street vehicle. There is now way to get the welds exactly the same on all sides so vibes would be bad.

You're going to put a ton of stress on the mount bolts. Make sure you get the strongest/highest grade you can find. I'd hate to see you shear them and ruin that driveshaft you're determined to run when you get in a high traction situation.

I would just go ahead and do that for a while but the best fix will be to get a new driveshaft that is built for your application.

Back