• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 to 4.0HO head swap

okeman

NAXJA Forum User
what is involved in swapping the HO head into and the old style 4.0. both would be fuel injected. what problems do I expect to run into and what king of changes will I have to make to make this work.

Last edited:
All AMC242 engines are fuel injected, so that's not at issue...

However, I do know that if you want to use the RENIX intake with the HO head, some adaptation must be done to allow the RENIX intake to mate up to the head - the intake ports were raised about 5/8", I think.

If you want to use the HO top end (head, intake, exhaust,) you'll end up having to adapt the RENIX throttle linkage to the throttle body - I belive it's on the opposite side.

Not having the parts around to experiment myself, I haven't had a chance to work out more details than that - but at least it's a step forward. If you search here, you might have more luck - I think it's been covered a couple of times.

Also, if you check out the strokers e-group (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers,) you might find more useful information.

If possible, and if you do this swap, I'd appreciate a fairly detailed writeup - best with pix! I can then host it in my Tech Archive of my website, so I can point people there rather than just saying something along the lines of, "Search, ya noob!"

Seriously, tho, I have seen this covered before - but you might not get all of your information at once. I'd like to fix that...

5-90

thanks for the help. I've seen that group befor as Ive got a stroker in my XJ, but the head is shot so I though I would put in a HO head. Im in the process of searching for all the info now, but winter is upon us, so its time to start tinkering. thanks again

Right now I've got the 99+ HO intake and a 98's exhaust manifolds on my Renix head. I know for a fact if you want to use the HO manifolds you will need to get a new throttle cable, kickdown cable, exhaust downpipe, and modify your fuel lines and TPS. Hesco is now selling a CNC'd piece that you can use for the TPS which is the route I took. Now I'm just trying to find the time and $$$ to swap the head so mine breathes right. Let me know if you have any questions as far as the manifolds go, I should be able to answer them. Oh and 5-90, I'm working on a write up right now for the HO manifolds on a Renix that will have some pictures, I will let you know when I'm done with it, if you want to host it.
-Collin

BigBlackHeep said:
Right now I've got the 99+ HO intake and a 98's exhaust manifolds on my Renix head. I know for a fact if you want to use the HO manifolds you will need to get a new throttle cable, kickdown cable, exhaust downpipe, and modify your fuel lines and TPS. Hesco is now selling a CNC'd piece that you can use for the TPS which is the route I took. Now I'm just trying to find the time and $$$ to swap the head so mine breathes right. Let me know if you have any questions as far as the manifolds go, I should be able to answer them. Oh and 5-90, I'm working on a write up right now for the HO manifolds on a Renix that will have some pictures, I will let you know when I'm done with it, if you want to host it.
-Collin

Please do! I'll check out the other link provided (below your original post,) and see what can be done there. I may end up bouncing it back and forth between me and the two of you to get a "final format" before I post it, tho...

5-90

Heres a pic you can add to the wright up for people who would like to see variations in tps set-ups.

Bushing taken out of HO tps and mated to renix tps with spacers.
4hjcvfn.jpg

I should have taken more pictures of this process but its all pretty straight foward.
Don't forget to take the HO fuel lines and mate them with the renix lines in a manner you see most fitting.

edit:
I had to go back to the pic-n-pull several times for small items i kept on forgetting

I should have made a list
91-95 intake manifold
throttle body
91-95 fuel rail with FPR
91-95 injectors
91-95 tranny kickdown cable
91-95 throttle cable
91-93 header
91-95 fuel lines
91-95 tps if you decide to salvage the bushing that is mated to throttle shaft
Save all bolts/snaprings/washers when pulling apart from doner HO
The HO head bolts were in great shape so I reused those the only one that was different was the bolt at the far back on the driverside. It is 1/2 inch longer for the ground wire.
and of course the head

FYI All of the HO parts I used were from a 93 GRAND cherokee. The only issue I had was with the throttle cable (too long) wich I fixed with a spacer. A custom downpipe had to be bent but I'm sure that will pertain to every application converting.

Last edited:
I couldn't get the bushing to work so I notched my renix TPS to fit the flat HO TB shaft.

Your pic is just about as blurry as mine. I'll have to try to get a better pic to accompany my write-up...
40-TPS.jpg

Has anyone experimented on wiring the HO TPS to the correponding circuits of the Renix? If someone could figure this out, maybe it would be a much 'cleaner install' then modifying the mechanical parts of the TPS. And give another option when upgrading to a HO head, intake, TB, etc.

ROADLESS said:
Has anyone experimented on wiring the HO TPS to the correponding circuits of the Renix? If someone could figure this out, maybe it would be a much 'cleaner install' then modifying the mechanical parts of the TPS. And give another option when upgrading to a HO head, intake, TB, etc.
I'm thinking when I did my swap, tealcherokee suggested just putting an HO one on. I just figured since HESCO made that adapter I'd go that route.

cyberbackpacker said:
Has anyone considered machining the intake to mate to the renix tb (ie drill and tap)? This way you can utilize stock sensors, cable, etc.? This is what I am planning on doing.

Actually, yes. I'd need to collect a few HO intakes before I can really dig into that tho - all of the parts I've got lying about are, currently, RENIX...

I'll be putting up a "parts watch" list at WiP in the near future - probably later this week, once I get a few things done.

5-90

im getting ready to do this swap myself, any info on using the renix TB on the HO manifold?

its probably easier to extend fuel lines once the engine is out... about how much is needed? i havent ever extended fuel lines, do i just go to the hard ware store and ask for some nipples and throw them beads like its mardi gras. J/k, you use metal lines or rubber fuel line from autozone?
subscribed

Back