• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building a bumper -aluminum diamond plate - How to make unshiney

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I have some aluminum diamond plate im trying to use to copy the stock bumper endcaps on my 99. Id like to paint them black, but with them being behind the rear tires, and aluminum. I dont think paint will stick. Any ideas?

sandblast, if you want it to look brushed you could use a paint stripper wheel or wire wheel to do the same job.

Prep and paint as normal for any metal or fiberglass surface. How do you think the paint sticks to the stock aluminum rims ?

Epoxy paint covers better, adheres better and holds up better. POR-15 would be the best choice.

They make a flapper type wheel that uses ScotchBrite instead of sand paper. It would do nicely for what you want. Now remember painting aluminum is a bit tricky to get it to stick. Your best bet is to use a zinc chromate primer first. It can be had in any good hardware store in a rattle can.

I would lightly sandblast it, if thats not an option......acid etch it, bare minimum......TSP,
Tri Sodium Phosphate.........about 3 bucks anywhere, mixed with warm water.

Back