• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Headliner Replacement Thread

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Needless to say my headliner is creeping towards the top of my head. I have done quite a bit of research about this subject and looked at several repair writeups & pics. I'm convinced I can do mine in my '92, but there's a hitch. I have seen no one repair a headliner with a full length overhead console. My XJ has one & I am concerned about screwing something up, since everything still works, even the crappy IR receiver.

So I'm looking for any ideas or advice about the OHC: has anyone removed their full length OHC? What about the wires up there? Will I have to disconnect anything? Chances of my destroying stuff? Does anyone have pics of what it looks like up there?

Any advice you can give would be helpful. I prolly won't attempt this until the spring time but I want to be prepared.

As far as I know, you can unscrew and remove the OHC(remove any connectors that are there). And redoing the headliner is the same as any other. You will just need to cut out some parts of it to fit the OHC back properly.

Removing the OHC is easy - don't sweat it. You need a smallish torx driver (T15/T20/T25, I forget) to unscrew the screw at the very front end, then you slide the whole thing back about two inches (just slide till it stops moving easily) then drop it down a little, slide forward to get the hook at the back end free from the headliner, and unplug the two connectors. The natural nylon connector at the front has a retention clip at the middle that you lift up and wiggle the connector out, the one for the RKE module at the back has retention clips you press in on both ends.

The hardest part is holding it up while pulling the connectors. You might want someone sitting in the passenger seat to hold it for you to make things easy, and you're going to want/need them around to get the headliner out without creasing it anyways.

EDIT: yeah, what Johnnie said is correct. Leave flaps about an inch wide when you trim the edges, fold them around the back and glue them down. The headliner cutout isn't anywhere near as critical though because it gets held down pretty well.

Excellent guys ... I'll refer to this when I do mine. Might do a ittle write-up too for anyone that might have the same questions later.
Thanks.

Back