• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-01 electric fan in a 96

I believe that is a common direct-fit upgrade.

PS--unless you are stuck on OEM they are about 1/3 the cost on eBay.

EDIT: Seems they have gone up, savings would be about 1/2 now.

Last edited:
The fan plugs are different, but can be swapped.

IMG00112_20090508_1526_800x600.sized.jpg

Left is the older style, and the right is the 97+ style. My 97 had the older style when I bought it (somebody had swapped it before me). When I installed a fan from a 98, I noticed my gauge temps drop by about 5 degrees at all the times. My best guess is that the fin design flows more air when it is running, and when it's not running.

Last edited:
the RENIX Thur 94 XJs had the above pictured flat 6 blade fan. 95 and 96 had a 8 "S" blade fan with the blades having a shape same as the above picture. 97-01 had a 10 "S" blade fan which is pictured above. the mounts of the three fans are interchangeable, but the wire pigtail is not. i believe the renix- 96 are the same and i know that they are different than the 98 and 01 model years (verified first hand).

i dont believe its much of an upgrade from the 95/96 to the late model fans. i did not notice a huge difference when i did that upgrade in my 95.

The fan plugs are different, but can be swapped.

IMG00112_20090508_1526_800x600.sized.jpg

Left is the older style, and the right is the 97+ style. My 97 had the older style when I bought it (somebody had swapped it before me). When I installed a fan from a 98, I noticed my gauge temps drop by about 5 degrees at all the times. My best guess is that the fin design flows more air when it is running, and when it's not running.

Just to throw a wrench in the works--My 96 has the fan (S-blades) on the rt.But a 98 replacement also w/S-blades had a different elect connector.
Just spliced in the old connector to the new wires.

Wayne

the RENIX Thur 94 XJs had the above pictured flat 6 blade fan. 95 and 96 had a 8 "S" blade fan with the blades having a shape same as the above picture. 97-01 had a 10 "S" blade fan which is pictured above. the mounts of the three fans are interchangeable, but the wire pigtail is not. i believe the renix- 96 are the same and i know that they are different than the 98 and 01 model years (verified first hand).

i dont believe its much of an upgrade from the 95/96 to the late model fans. i did not notice a huge difference when i did that upgrade in my 95.

Thanks for the info. I assumed that there were only 2 fan designs. I also noticed a difference between the 6 blade and the 10 blade.

Great upgrade for anyone with a 6 blade fan.

Upgrade? I suspect they did that for noise purposes. I replaced the fan in my 98' with what was available in the junk yard, one from a mid 90's. Besides the connector, it all worked the same, just noisier because of the large blades.

Ron

Upgrade? I suspect they did that for noise purposes. I replaced the fan in my 98' with what was available in the junk yard, one from a mid 90's. Besides the connector, it all worked the same, just noisier because of the large blades.

Ron

For me, it seems to have lowered the gauge temp on my dash by about 5 degrees at all times. While this isn't scientific, I'll take any extra cooling effects I get.

Are you having a overheating problem? IF SO. Under what condition are you over heating? The E-fan maybe the last thing needing replacing/upgrade.
Your factory installed rad is 11 years old. I would have a close look at it. Before replacing what I am assuming is a working E-fan.
If you just feal the need to mod something please have at it. It's a sound upgrade with no drawbacks.

Are you having a overheating problem? IF SO. Under what condition are you over heating? The E-fan maybe the last thing needing replacing/upgrade.
Your factory installed rad is 11 years old. I would have a close look at it. Before replacing what I am assuming is a working E-fan.
If you just feal the need to mod something please have at it. It's a sound upgrade with no drawbacks.

For me, I'm not saying this was a magic bullet that will cure an overheating problem. My temp gauge sat at 210 most of the time, would creep up to 220 when it was like 85+ with the AC on while sitting in traffic.

After the fan, my gauge dropped to between 200 & 210. I've not tested it in 85 degree weather with the AC on, but in traffic with the temp's in the high 70's and the AC on, I don't go above 210.

Back