• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a stock spare tire carrier

kwill1

NAXJA Forum User
Hold a 33inch spare? I found one at the salvage yard off a 85 Chief- its the type that mounts to the bumper and quarter panel.

Thanks

most, if not all, will recommend against it. The biggest I have heard is a 31. Anything bigger than that is going to be significantly heavier and will need bracing on the quarter panel, which is costly and a lot of work, in which case you would be better off just buying a new bumper with a carrier.

Long story short, No, not a 33, maybe a 31.

I have the bumper mounted one from mopar that was of a mid 90's, and I have a 29.5" on it and I would not go any bigger, It shakes to much on wash board roads.

You can do it--just inflate the tire with helium instead of air. :confused1

Seriously, 31.

I have this same type of carrier and I needed to extend it to fit a 31" tire on a stock wheel. It could be extended to fit a bigger one but, as said, it is kinda shaky with even a 31" tire. So, I wouldn't recommend it unless you fabricate some sort of upper latch for the carrier and then post a full writeup with pictures.

i used to have a worn 31 on an AMC spare tire carrier on my xj. i rolled around a few days with a 35 on there and i had some damage from it. the quarter panel was pulled out and distorted from it and that even with the internal brace on the qp. even the 31 bounced around too much for my liking.

I would recommend the aftermarket tire carrier that bolts to the rear bumper.

One idea could be to inflate the spare to seal the bead, then let all the air out. That would save some weight.

hey, i welded a piece of channel steel to mine, with three 1/2" bolts welded into three holes on mine over where it went on the stock carrier, and ran a 33 on it for years! i'd post pics, but i don't have the jeep anymore. i'll post a pic of what it looked like, though...
snakey.jpg

hey, i welded a piece of channel steel to mine, with three 1/2" bolts welded into three holes on mine over where it went on the stock carrier, and ran a 33 on it for years! i'd post pics, but i don't have the jeep anymore. i'll post a pic of what it looked like, though...
snakey.jpg

I don't suppose you have a write-up? Or maybe some more details? I'm a little confused by your post. :dunno:

Like thechief said, wheels with proper offset would lessen the amount that the mount would need to be extended, I have stock wheels as well, so my 31x10.5s required me to modify it. What I did to extend the mount was simply cut the steel mount off in the middle, and then I bolted it back on with some pieces of 1/8 steel plate, so that the part that the tires mounts to stuck out a bit farther than before. I don't think it's even an inch farther back to clear 10.5s on stock rims. I would have done it the way described above, but I wanted to use the stock lug nuts and I didn't have any bolts with that thread. This way it is still using the same studs to mount the tire as before. Yes the thing bounces back and forth a bit more than it did with a stock tire, but the carrier has held up like this for several years, at least 35,000 miles. It's probably best to extend it as little as possible to keep the weight as close to the carrier as you can.

You can kinda see what I mean in this picture. That's the only pic I have without the tire being on it, and it's dark and raining out now :) The modified carrier outlasted the crappy tires I had here and is halfway through the good ones I have now:
image-6F41_4B060DBA.jpg

Last edited:
One idea could be to inflate the spare to seal the bead, then let all the air out. That would save some weight.

Cute....I knew a guy that actually though that to be true :dunno:

Back