• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring up LEDs for the new JCR quarter panel guards?

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I just bought the quarter panel guards from JCR and they should be here at the end of next week. I am hoping to have these mounted and wired up in one afternoon so i can make it to the Badlands Nov. 28th. But i have some questions about the wiring of the lights.

I ordered a 6" oval (tail/stop/turn) LED, 2.5" round Reverse light, and a 2" red round turn signal for the side of the panel. I also bought all of the "pigtails" to connect to the back of the LEDs

I have never messed around with LEDs before, so will someone explain to me the best way to wire these up? I heard something about needing an electronic flasher but in all the install writeups ive seen for the THOR guards i have never seen a use of a flasher, nor have i seen anyone really go into great detail about the wiring.

Can someone please explain to me what i need?

-Brendan

You will need to get a EF-27 flasher. I picked one up from Napa. If you don't use it your signals will flash quickly. I think it was about $17.

i was reading another link given to me by a member of JF that i will need a trailer wiring tail light converter as well. do i need that as well?

also do you have a link to that flasher? i cant find it online?

I actually just went to Napa and told the gal I needed an "EF-27".
They got it right first shot!!

Anyway we used the existing taillight converter. Since the XJ has seperate stop/tail, turn, and reverse, we wired the reverse and side marker using existing wiring. For some reason we couldn't get stop/tail/turn function to work with converter, so we ran a wire across under the latch panel and spliced the driver side tailights into the passenger side. That was the only way we could get it to work. Maybe the previous owner goofed something up in the wiring beforehand b/c there was nothing easy or usual about ithis. On top of all that one of my oval lights didn't work, so I have to wait for a new one...

Any issues with fitment of your panels? We had to grind mine quite a bit to clearance the hatch on one side, while the other side has a small gap.

Has anyone tried just using a plug-n-play converter, wiring the LEDs to that, and using the electronic flasher? I drag a trailer around periodically, and I never had any issues (aside from the POS trailer).

i was planning on doing what was done in that writeup as well as the electronic flasher, is that the right way of going about this?

i was sent this link http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=980571

so i picked up the tow ready setup, so i should just need that and the electric flasher and i should be good to go hopefully

Yes, that's a good writeup to follow. It covers it well. The only thing I would have done different is to use only one trailer box converter. Two are not really needed. One will cover both sides.

Yes, you will still need an electronic flasher otherwise, you'll have a case of hyper-blinker.

I sense a little bit of stress on the wiring end of this project :D......Don't let it intimidate you, it's not bad at all.

Last edited:
Yes, that's a good writeup to follow. It covers it well.

Yes, you will still need an electronic flasher otherwise, you'll have a case of hyper-blinker.

I sense a little bit of stress on the wiring end of this project :D......Don't let it intimidate you, it's not bad at all.

I can come help ya out Brendan If you need it. I'm awful handy with a soldering Iron. I just mentioned the taps if you want to keep you stock bulb sockets intact. I need to do mine anyways!

I can come help ya out Brendan If you need it. I'm awful handy with a soldering Iron. I just mentioned the taps if you want to keep you stock bulb sockets intact. I need to do mine anyways!
^

Check my edit.

Ok, Do I need to have those trailer box converters on each light? I was told All I'll need is the electronic flasher....... I'm confused! :D

yeah aaron if you wanna come help me out that be great. do you have a soldering iron cuz i dont

Not sure if it's mentioned in any of the linked articles but xjs have 2 separate flashers, one for turn signals and one for hazards. The one for the hazards is electronic, all I did when I wired my LEDs is switch the two. I don't know if I've used the hazards since but the turn signs work great.

yeah aaron if you wanna come help me out that be great. do you have a soldering iron cuz i dont

Yeah I have one! Let me know when you wanna get it done.

The only time you need a trailer converter is if you are using the same LED lamp for STOP/TAIL/TURN. You only need one converter per jeep. (The trailer converters are clearly marked and easy to wire up) If your LED's for STOP and TURN are two separate lamps, you do not need a trailer converter.
The above also applies for incandescent lighting, not just LED's.

Older XJ's used two flashers. One for the turn signals and one for the hazards. On 96 and newer, there is only one flasher that controls both the turn signals and the hazards.

Back