• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive shafts

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
sorry everybody for all the questions but what kind of front drive lines would i need for my cherokee if i have a rubicon 5.5 kit???

even for a 4x4? i heard that if there is too much of articulation with the stock drive lines that they would break joints and what not

I am running 7.5" lift, 35's on stock front DS front and rear. Its pretty common, for the price of the Tom Woods I have 6 stock driveshafts + the two in the rig. Slip joints seem to wear a bit fast, because of the angles, but I have not had one break!

Do a search, apparently they made 3 different length front shafts that came in various XJ models and ZJ models, all of which can be used to accomodate various size lifts

I am running 7.5" lift, 35's on stock front DS front and rear. Its pretty common, for the price of the Tom Woods I have 6 stock driveshafts + the two in the rig. Slip joints seem to wear a bit fast, because of the angles, but I have not had one break!

Do a search, apparently they made 3 different length front shafts that came in various XJ models and ZJ models, all of which can be used to accomodate various size lifts

Sorry stupid question but thats with the use of an SYE right?

Yes, you can't use the front driveshaft without an SYE because (a) it requires a CV type yoke and (b) it would mean two slip joints in one driveline with no supports, which is BAD NEWS!

Yes, you can't use the front driveshaft without an SYE because (a) it requires a CV type yoke and (b) it would mean two slip joints in one driveline with no supports, which is BAD NEWS!

Thats what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if there was a trick to mounting it into the slip yoke on the T-case that made it solid that I didn't know about lol

Thanks

Just run um, I put my jeep through hell and i have not had one break or pull apart...the worst I have done is crack a u-joint cap. If you doubt you can, do a search and I think you'll see there are plenty of people out there doing the same.

Tom woods extended spline shafts sure are tasty though (;. Im running them front and rear on an 8 inch and 35 inch tires.

But stock front, and stock front in the rear with an SYE is commonplace.

I take it the front XJ driveshaft will be strong enough in the rear for the long term? I'm thinking of putting a hack n' tap in mine and use a front DS but want to make sure. Also, is there any information regarding the various sizes? I never thought there were 3 different sizes, just knew that the older models have a different style.

What year are we talking about?

forget where I read that, but I have tried shafts from autos, manuals, 2doors and GC's. I have 6 in the garage now, and each is a bit different. The difference seems to be where the splines enter the shaft. The main part of the shaft seems to be longer on some than others. I am using a GC front shaft now and its too short, more of the splines are exposed. the 2 door autos seem to be the best match. Not sure if anyone else can add support here.

Also, be sure to grab a shaft that has a grease fitting for the slip joint. The shafts will last a good amount of time if you be sure to grease them often. I do mine once a week and they hold up well. When I wasnt lubing them that often, the slip joints did wear faster because of the splines being pulled a bit farther from the main shaft that what stock would be.

2dr and 4dr had the same wheelbase (and it's the front shaft, so it should be the same either way) - so it's most likely a transmission type difference you're seeing. Otherwise, fully agreed.

ok so im pretty stoked i bought a aw4 tranny and an np231j transfer case and drive shaft for 700 bucks from a salvage yard the trranny old has like 87k on it. The only question i had was that can i run the stock drive shaft with a rubicon 5.5 kit with shims in the leafs or do i need to drop the transfer case like 2in.?

Back