• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stereo Installation

Brewd0g

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ and I'm looking for the best locations mount an amp. I'm thinking about right to the roof in front of the rear speakers. I don't like the idea of mounting to the back of the seats because I often fold them down and fill the rear with cargo. Any ideas or pictures?

They get warm, but not excessivly.

I don't DD my jeep though.. so they only get used to/from the trail 2-3 weekends a month (3-4 hours each way).

Mine's under the rear seat as well; I like it being not visible. If heat is a concern you could always make a little spacer to get it off the floor to promote airflow.

Consider it a seat heater for your buddies in the back seat.

I doubt you'll find a way to mount the amps to the ceiling unfortunately, there aren't very many crossmembers and they may not line up with the spot you want to mount the amps on. That means putting bolts through the roof panels.

I'd probably mount them on the insides of the rear quarterpanels right behind the wheel wells - there is some space inside those areas actually, see if you can pull the trim, cut out the recesses, install the amps inside the quarterpanels, and put cooling fans or panels over the former recesses.

If the 97+ is like the 96- then what about the little space on the passenger side behind the rear wheel well. If more space is needed you could cut the top out so the wiring would be hidden inside the panel.

I keep my eclipse 4 channel under the drivers side back seat, along with my 4 farad cap, and digital d-block under the drivers side. The sub amp, is attached the back of the box.

If air flow/cooling is an issue you can either attatch or run a fan near it.

I tried to shove it under the rear seat but the amp is it's way too long. Plus that space is full of leaves and sticks from my dog ripping them off on the way by (He is a very dedicated trail worker). Under the front seats have similar issues, plus I wouldn't have a place to shove my soda bottles and there is a huge risk of drinks being spilled on them. The rear quarter panel is appealing but i can only fit one amp there. It's looking more and more like the roof is the place to put it. I have a drill, the question is will it cave in the roof when I'm bouncing through the woods? Has anyone seen this done before?

Depends on how much it weighs, I'd expect anything over about 10lbs to start screwing with the roof pretty badly. Also, you're going to be leaking water through the boltholes straight onto the amp if you don't do a perfect job sealing it up. What I'd consider doing is running some 1/8" thick aluminum angle between the two support ribs that are closest to where you want to mount it, then bolt the amp to those. It'll play hell with your headliner (if any) obviously but it will work.

you cannot mount an amp to the roof. first off, it would be nearly impossible physically, but also, the heat from the amp would have no where to go. heatsinks are generally on top of the amp.

My amps are mounted on the back of the back seat, but I don't really mind it. When I need to carry cargo, I just fold it down and throw a blanket over the amps so they don't get beat up. Best spot is either on the back of the seat or under the back seat.

mine is under the back seat. no overheating issues so far. if it wasn't there, i'd mount it to the sub box. that way if you're hauling stuff you can take both the sub & amp out in one fell swoop. just wire evrything up with some disconnects.

Skibum, incorrect. You *can* I'm just saying it would be a poor-ish plan. Heat does have places to go, also - you'd be mounting the amp upside down, as the mounting tabs are along the bottom. Convection cooling still works at the top of the cabin.

beckerbig has a pretty good idea too.

I can't get away with stuff like putting them on the back of the back seat, because the cargo I carry tends to be things like axles, transmissions, engines etc... I have a d30 in the back right now and I'm pretty sure it would have demolished an amp by this point.

Under the back seat gets my vote. The factory put them there, they're away from prying eyes, and I've never had an overheating problem. The one pictured is 500w RMS, and I've seen it draw, momentarily, over 70 amps, so it's putting out its rated power. Higher output is where it's going to overheat, and like I said, in over a year and a half, no problemo. It's 16" long, and fits fine.
I threw in a picture of the box. It's covered with headliner material, although I need to find a better adhesive, as it keeps wanting to peel. At just barely two cubic feet, it gives a nice, tight thump, not boomy. I had to wire the speakers in series, as parallel gave the amp just 1.5 ohms, and it used to dim the dash lights at night (no cap). The stock cargo cover will cover it, so as not to attract attention.

000_1157-1.jpg

000_1156.jpg

000_1158.jpg

Clean setup! I wish I could keep my truck that clean. Your amp is only 14" long. I have a pair of Kickers that are 20" long and they don't fit at all.

Ouch! I think the best alternative, like camarors suggested, is on the box, with some disconnects. Wiring roof-mounted amps would be a nightmare, nevermind putting holes in the roof.

Back