• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9

xrayjeeper83

NAXJA Forum User
What do yall think of the ford 9 out of a 67 bronco. Is it a good fit for the XJ(to narrow,wider?) and how much would I expect to pay for one?

Andrew

Width would be ~58" so a touch narrower. Nothing that couldn't be fixed with some 1" spacers per side.

IIRC that vintage 9" would be a small bearing housing. So, not the best setup. Also, would that vintage be 28-29 spline as well? Someone correct me on these two points if I am wrong.

It should be 28 spline, with 11" drums, and im pretty sure its the small bearings.

You can get aftermarket kits to upgrade to 31 spine, with 31 locker/carrier or get a whole new third and 35 spline.

The small bearing axle housing tapers down slightly at the edge and uses tighter spaced smaller 3/8" (?) bolts to retain the flange. The big bearing housing does not taper down as much and uses 1/2" (?) bolts spaced further apart. While some big and small bearing 31 spline shafts are fundamentally the same they cannot be directly interchanged without exchanging the bearings and retainers.

Theres also big bearing regarding the center section, but thats another issue.

I just got a email from the guy and its a 28 spline small bearing. He only wants 75 bucks and all that needs work is the right bearing and seal. Is this a good deal or should I hold of and see what else comes along. Also if I got this how well would it stand up to 33's and locked as is?

Andrew

Back