• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys Tranney/Engine skid

COXJ

NAXJA Member #989
Looking at it and was wondering who has it and how they like it. i dont have lca mounts so the skid row one wont work for me so was wondering where they mount on rustys.

WIll

Rusty's mounts to the LCA mounts as well. It is heavy and beefy, though. I had to clearance it a little to clear the larger factory exhaust on my wife's '01.

i have both. the transfer skid went on easy but i had to cut the heck out of the font plate and drill new holes to line up the front skid. also the skid hung down below the front axel when i only had 3" of lift. so i had no problem with exhaust clearance. i probly have 5 " between skid and bottom of engine. now at 4-4.5" it is at least is mostly above it. rusty has been sending me the modified cross bar since january. i just live with it. it does mount the same as the skid row unit. plus my 91 won't work with the ez-drain (wrong thread in the pan) so oil changes are usually a mess. i need to open up the drain plug area.

I skid row's LCA to LCA crossbar is actually a 2 piece design )Can anyone verify?) thus allowing for some adjustment for exhaust clearance issues. I had the same problem with my Rusty's..its plenty beefy but a had to cut the hell out of it to make it fit and even then I didn't have enough exhaust clearance. I think a more adjustable "crossbar" would help for each specific XJ application/lift height. I have the sure drain plug thingy and would just drill o hole in it to make oil changes easy. Last, I am not sure of the skid row design completely but Rusty's (a least mine) uses welded nuts on the crossbar and you bolt through the skid the them. I'd prefer drilled holes and 9/16 nuts/bolts with lock washers. I'm about ready to make my own to be honest.

Rusty has a bracket to attach it to your uca mounts. I have the proto type and had to make some mods but he should have the bugs worked out by now.

I've got them both,too,and his 1" drop x-member. I replaced the hardware that came with the engine skid with grade 8 stuff and had to cut a small 1" long section off of the upright at the t-case X-member to get it to work. I love 'em and would buy them again. I use/abuse mine on a regular basis :D with nothing to show but some scratches.

Back