• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering.

vikingsaretough

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,I'm a new post-er... but have been observing for months. I have a 1990 Cherokee Laredo, 5sp. manual. I cannot find any genuine advice on how to replace power steering cables. For now my receiving power steering line is cracked. It's bad, it smokes so heavy while parallel parking that it comes in under my dashboard. I could easily go through one quart of steering fluid. I can also hear the deep grinding noise. I don't want to go to a mechanic, I know I can do it myself.

What I'd like some tips on is if any of you out there have gone through this, how to tell if my steering box is trashed. If not, I read somewhere I can rinse it thoroughly with water. I'd also like to hear your guys' opinions on which cables would be better/preferred since they range in price so much.

Thanks so much guys!
-vikes:helpme:

Welcome to NAXJA!

You will likely get more (and better) responses to this in the OEM Tech forum, as it is perused by more members than just those located in Southern California.

I unfortunately do not have any experience with replacing power steering lines.

You only need to replace the steering box if there is lots of play between the intermediate shaft (between steering wheel and box) and the output sector shaft where the pitman arm mounts. Replacing the hi pressure hose and return line is pretty easy. Make sure you get those crow's feet wrench ends for the rachet. makes it much easier to remove them. I dont have any feedback regarding the price differences but the hi-pressure and return lines will be priced differently

I highly recommend that you get it fixed ASAP. Power steering fluid will burn. When you get PS fluid on a hot exhaust manifold.......it will burn. I've seen this first hand and, the results were not good. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.

Last edited:
I highly recommend that you get it fixed ASAP. Power steering fluid will burn. When you get PS fluid on a hot exhaust manifold.......it will burn. I've seen this first hand and, the results were not good. Make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy.

X2!

The power steering pump and lines are in real close proximity to the exhaust manifold. It's not very hard for the fluid to get blown back onto it.

I would recommend a commercially available engine degreaser as opposed to straight water. and as silly as it sounds. make sure that the only thing that goes into the power steering system is either power steering fluid or in a pinch, automatic trans fluid.

Alright thanks guys! I've been driving it around minimally in fear that my car would blow up.

I'm thinking I will probably go for the middle priced lines. Pretty safe bet there.

Back