• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air bag switch?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Wasn't there a rule or reg back say 5-10 years ago that if a vehicle owner asked for it the manufacturer had to install a dash board switch to disable the front passenger side air bag?

Was there ever such a "kit" from ChryCo to install such a kit in the 97+ XJs?

If so, where would I get it?

:)

Wouldn't mind having this to turn off the air bag when my four year old is in the front seat and we are tootling around the pastures. I could pull the fuse, just hoping for something more "elegant".

I did a little research on this last year. My son was 4 when I bought my 01 in January.

To summarize what I dug up. You pretty much have to ask the government for permission to have the switch installed. I could hardly believe the regulation when I looked at it. They had a form and everything.

I believe it's on the NTSBs site, but it's been a while. I dropped that line of thinking and decided to figure out a way to do it myself.

Broke out the shop manual, checked the wiring diagrams and discovered it would be difficult, but possible. However, when you turned off the passenger airbag, the airbag light would come on. I haven't gotten any farther on the project than that.

Hey, but I did just finish putting Blue Torch Fabwork's Kryptonite differential covers on my 01. Put that much money in lockers and new gears, I figured I'd protect my investment.

If there was a parts list for a set of parts to accomplish this, that would be good enough for me. Something "factory looking" would be nice, like the newer vehicles with said switch.

I figured that one of the normal online parts outlets might have something but no luck yet. :(

I'm up in Canuckistan so the NTSB has no sway over me. ;)

I didn't find any evidence or reference to a kit to turn it off in the shop manual.

But from the wiring diagram it's a unhook battery, snip wire, insert switch under hood (or run wire inside to switch) hook battery back up kinda thing.

But, you will have to put up with a airbag light when it's off and depending up on the sensors involved, you may have to put up with an airbag light all of the time. (That's one of the primary reasons I haven't gotten around to it.)

there is....well...was a kit for this. 97-98 was 5013501AC for the passenger on/off kit. 5013502AC for the kit to turn driver's and passenger's air bag off. 99-2000 shows different kit #'s for some reason, no idea what the difference would be. the only one that appears to be still available is #5013540AD which is listed as a 99-2001 passenger side on/off kit. BUT, it lists at 409.00 in us dollars.:eek:

Thanks for a PNs. Do you have any supporting docs on it? In particular, what does the switch look like, where does it mount?

$409 is a bit rich.

Time to call in some favours perhaps...

yeah, i've bought whole vehicles for 400.00. supposedly the kit comes with "very detailed instructions". if one could get ahold of those very detailed instructions, i'm sure you could fix something up with a simple universal key switch....or something along those lines.

Do you have the exact name of the kits as listed beside the part number? I could get googling with that kind of info. I have other sources to search as well.

I'd be happy with routing a switch to the bezel in front of the shifter - any other functions would be "gravy".

Thanks a bunch.

it's just listed as "kit, airbag switch" then the part number. all the chryco models; jeeps, dodges, chryslers, etc. all show different kit numbers. i'm thinking part of the kit includes dash bezel pieces or something.

Back