• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advance auto tranny cooler

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

advance auto stocks imperial tranny coolers. they seem to come fairly complete with all hoses/connectors needed

i was wondering if these were any good
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...erial_3670013-P_895_R|GRPCOOLAMS_555636526___

thats the one id probably be getting.

ive got a pretty bad tranny leak that comes out of the front of the inspection plate cover. i *think* its only doing it when it gets hot. im running 38s on 5:13s, and haven't had it on the road enough to know if it still over heats, but with 35s on stock gears it would over heat within 40 mins of driving

im hoping i can get a tranny cooler and stop this leak, but i know its possible that the front torque converter seal may be leaking, but im crossing my fingers that i can fix this leak this way without having to drop the tranny

any suggestions

thanks

you may want to just spend $150 and get one of those B&M kits with steel lines and those fancy plumbing connectors. A lot more heavy duty. i found them at JEGS.

Im running 35's and 5.13 and was looking to step up to some 36 Iroks. How is the 5.13 and 38's!?! what axles are you running?

but yeah thats my next thing, tranny cooler.

Get a plate cooler, not the tube style. There's not much room between the AC condenser and grill, 3/4 to 1 inch is about all you have room for. 35's with stock gears would've been a ton of stress on the transmission. 38's with 5.13's is lower than stock. Here's the cooler I have in mine and I had to do some shaving on the radiator shell to make it fit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70268/

38s and 5:13s ive found are pretty good. i dont have 4 hi on really steep climbs, but i can cruise the trails in hi, and throw it in low when i need the gearing. and with the stock set up i was never able to use high for anything, so its nice to have the taller gears back when i need to sling some mud

im running a waggy 44 front, and an 8.8 rear. ill admit i dont "do" rocks, not really by choice, but the type of east coast stuff around me is mostly long steep hill climbs, snotty trails, etc, and for me they have held up great

i haven't gotten it street legal yet (need to hook up the e-brake) but i have driven it a few times back on some country roads and the ratio seems fine for cruising around town.

i like the summit link one. cheaper, and i know the name brand better

wow dude same boat. It WAS legal in NJ but when my dad tried to get in inspected they started laughing! But I figure if I as flares and an e brake cable I will be good.

and the space issue didnt even cross my mind!

You can pull a plate syle transmission cooler from a ford explorere at a junk yard. BUy transmission line from the auto parts store and a few hose clamps. The whole system is less than 40 dollars.

You can pull a plate syle transmission cooler from a ford explorere at a junk yard. BUy transmission line from the auto parts store and a few hose clamps. The whole system is less than 40 dollars.

This.

I have one from an early ford explorer (95- I think) and it's a thin plate style cooler that fits in front of the AC condenser without a problem.

If you move towards the newer style explorers, they have a large plate style cooler that you might have trouble fitting, but would probably provide even better cooling.

They have barbs on the end so you can use rubber line + hose clamps.

Do you suggest using the rad for trans cooling or just the aux cooler. I had a trans guy tell be that the rad can actually add heat on hot days with AC etc running. I have a explorer cooler I am planning on mounting in front of the AC.

Thanks

I've seen my coolant temperature goes up to 235F on a hot Texas day. If the transmission is cooler than that, it would heat it up.

Maybe it's supposed to get some heat from the engine so it warms quicker in cold weather?

I run an explorer plate style cooler without the radiator cooler. I have run in this arrangement for about a year, without any issues, but my jeep is basically a trial only vehicle. ~25 trail days on this setup (4 liter/4:56's and 35's) and not a single issue yet.

jim

I got the coolers out of some Grand Cherokees at the all you can carry event at a local junkyard, they're plate style. I nabbed the mounting braces as well. Haven't gotten a chance to check how well they fit though.

Back