• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIN# on the engine? Swapping in later model 4.0 to '00 XJ?

DPG

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,
I know the engine build code is stamped on the pass side of the block, but is the actual VIN# on the engine anywhere?

Also, if the first # in the engine build code is a "6" (which means it was built in 1996) how do you know it wasn't built in 2006?

Does the year code actually say "06" instead of "6"?

I'm looking at a salvage motor to replace this POS 4.0 with a cracked head.
It looks like I can swap any newer 4.0 in there, but will need to transfer all the stuff from the 2000 motor to the newer one.
I'm looking at a low mileage 4.0 from a 2005 TJ...

Thanks!
Dirk

Engines are flowing in on one supply chain and meet up with the unibody on the assembly line--no, VIN numbers are not on the engine.

I never seen a VIN code on an Jeep engine. You don't want to put a 1999-2004 WJ or a 2000-2005 TJ block in. They are vastly different from the XJ block.

Here is a thread that compares a TJ/WJ block to an XJ: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1047

Two other good articles on Jeep blocks:
http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Art...its_time_to_say_goodbye_to_an_old_friend.aspx
http://www.pera.org/articles/eb40319.htm

I would look for a 97-2001 XJ block.

I'm still being told by some long time jeep mechanics that the newer style blocks will indeed swap into my 2000 model XJ.
One in particular has done the swap. He swears that the holes in the block will all work with my 2000 year accessories.

I'll be giving it a shot...

Please keep us informed. Many 00, 01's may need this due to the fantastic 0331 head and wonderful apparent quality of the blocks. (Several cases of porosity in cyl bores reported when beginning to change FU head.)

Please keep us informed. Many 00, 01's may need this due to the fantastic 0331 head and wonderful apparent quality of the blocks. (Several cases of porosity in cyl bores reported when beginning to change FU head.)
Will do.
The 0331 head is the source of my woes and the reason I'm swapping motors.
I have a line on a 2005 TJ motor with 15k miles.

Hopefully, we'll get started in a week or so...

Take pics and let us know if it does work. I wouldn't be so concerned about the accessory mounts as I would the engine mounts. You will definitely have to drill and tap a hole on the water pump mount and a few others, and I wonder how the oil filter would fit or if you could use the XJ filter adapter.

Take pics and let us know if it does work. I wouldn't be so concerned about the accessory mounts as I would the engine mounts. You will definitely have to drill and tap a hole on the water pump mount and a few others, and I wonder how the oil filter would fit or if you could use the XJ filter adapter.
What other holes SPECIFICALLY are you talking about???

The first link you posted in a previous post was regarding a much older 4.0 block- not the '05 block.
If you know some specifics about the '05 block bosses and what needs to be drilled, let me know.
I'm hearing from several long-time techs that all my 2000 model stuff will bolt up with no mods. These late model blocks have multiple bosses (both standard and metric) in the motor mount areas.

We'll see if the oil filter will fit or will require an adaptor.

It's a frustrating thing for sure, as I'm getting different answers from different people. We're just going to have to find out for sure and see.
If it was a suspension issue, I'd know...

This should make a great write-up with pictures!

I think this is going to become a more common swap as older engines in decent shape get scarce.

What other holes SPECIFICALLY are you talking about???

I'm talking about the engine brackets bosses on the block. The 00-01 uses the same brackets as the 96 engine block in the first thread I posted. I checked that when I was looking for a block. Also, the WJ/TJ block was unchanged since it was first designed.

Also, the WJ/TJ block was unchanged since it was first designed.
Not according to one of the links you posted:
http://www.pera.org/articles/eb40319.htm
Here's the quote from that link:

The 1999–2001 Cherokee and 1999 Wrangler got a new block casting 53010449AA and guess what? The filter mounting face is now pointing downward again, just as it always did. Again, there are dowel pin holes in the deck and it uses a stud girdle. It is the first year of production of the new thrust plate design camshaft and associated machining of the block for the retaining bolts, which is what makes it unique.

The 1999-2004 model Grand Cherokee and 2000-2005 Wrangler have used what looks to be a clean sheet-design block. The front has a long ear on the lower left side that replaces a bolt-on mount. There are all kinds of different mounting bolt bosses on each side of the block, some metric, some not (see illustrations), and the filter mount is once again 90 degrees to the pan rail.

The TJ started production in '97. If it got a new block in '99 and another in the 2000-2005 models, that would be at least 3 different blocks for the TJ alone and the article doesn't discuss 2006...

I was talking about the block that the WJ and TJ share, which you are referencing for your swap.

The 1999-2004 model Grand Cherokee and 2000-2005 Wrangler have used what looks to be a clean sheet-design block. The front has a long ear on the lower left side that replaces a bolt-on mount. There are all kinds of different mounting bolt bosses on each side of the block, some metric, some not (see illustrations), and the filter mount is once again 90 degrees to the pan rail.

That is when the major changes took place in the block and when the WJ and TJ shared the block. Hence why I keep saying WJ/TJ block. And which is the block you are looking at, a later TJ block?

Also, one of the articles does mention 2006:
1999-2006
C/N 53010327AB, 53010328AB

Cast iron block, oil filter mounting surface is 90° to pan rail of engine instead of pointing downward. All kinds of configuration and boss changes with long mounting boss protruding off the lower left of block. Uses long main bolts and stud girdle. Camshaft thrust plate block. Has "NVH" on side to denote block strengthened for "noise, vibration and harshness." No coil pack mount bosses, now mounted on cylinder head.

I was talking about the block that the WJ and TJ share, which you are referencing for your swap.
Oh, I see.

That is when the major changes took place in the block and when the WJ and TJ shared the block. Hence why I keep saying WJ/TJ block. And which is the block you are looking at, a later TJ block?
Yes, it's a 2005 TJ motor.

Also, one of the articles does mention 2006:
See, that's why this whole thing is so confusing.
I'm finding the bottom line is that nobody I know has done this swap, so they really can't tell me for sure.

I know. Good XJ blocks are getting harder to find and if a later block can actually be done that would open up a whole lot of usable blocks. One thought I had is contacting Brown Dog motor mounts, they do mounts so they may have a better answer. Or if the mount bosses are that different they may even have an adapter mount.

I know. Good XJ blocks are getting harder to find and if a later block can actually be done that would open up a whole lot of usable blocks. One thought I had is contacting Brown Dog motor mounts, they do mounts so they may have a better answer. Or if the mount bosses are that different they may even have an adapter mount.

Good call. Took your advice and called BD.
Ordered a set of their mounts too, as I didn't want to use factory style mounts anyway.
He had some good news for me about the install and I'm looking forward to the install.
We WILL get the motor in the jeep. The only question in my mind is what it will take to do it.
I'm getting more confident that this install will be pretty straightforward.

Much of the XJ community seems to believe that this won't work or that it will be a difficult install. I'm looking forward to finding out...

Did he say anything about the mounts, or have a special mount for the block? I've been wanting to get a set of brown dog mounts, but have had other jeep priorities at the moment.

Oh and another thing for you to think of or modify is the oil pressure sender hole. I believe it is toward the rear of the block. Just so you know before you drop it in and realize you may need to drill and tap a hole or plug the existing hole, or just relocate the sender.

If you can it would also be nice if you could detail the differenced between the blocks when you have them side by side.

Last edited:
Did he say anything about the mounts, or have a special mount for the block? I've been wanting to get a set of brown dog mounts, but have had other jeep priorities at the moment.
He's actually developed a new block mount that picks up all 7 holes on the driver side. It's not even on the market yet. I ordered both of his block mounts too, just to have the entire kit.

Oh and another thing for you to think of or modify is the oil pressure sender hole. I believe it is toward the rear of the block. Just so you know before you drop it in and realize you may need to drill and tap a hole or plug the existing hole, or just relocate the sender.

My guy already knows about the oil sender. I believe we're just going to relocate the existing unit to the new location.

Dirk, what was the outcome? It looks like it didn't work as you used a 1999 XJ block... but what exactly didn't work?

The threaded bosses on the '05 block are NOT the same as the '00 block.
Everyone said the '05 block "should" work, but going in, I couldn't find anyone that had actually DONE this swap.
My brackets would not swap over to the new block. The drivers side stuff would work, but the pass side stuff (alternator & AC compressor) would not fit.
There are other differences, but they could be made to work easily enough.

I actually used a '99 TJ motor.

Back