• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock pinion angle in relation to spring perches

Not seeing anything about stock measurements on the tech page.
What I actually after is if you were to throw an xj axle on jackstands, set the spring perches to zero degrees and then measure the pinion angle what would you get?

the pinion angle should be the same angle as the output angle of the transfercase output angle.

on the tech page, it shows the angle of the the rear driveline with a sye and without. try this page

http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html
:doh: are you READING HIS POSTS? He's not asking that, he is asking a simple question about what the angle of the perches relative to the pinion (and vice versa) is.

I think I have the angle finder in my center console, I'll check mine in a bit.

%100 percent, I am not at all interested in driveline angles, I understand driveline angles and already have a proper SYE setup. I need the measurement for my 8.8 which I am building, I need to mock the spring perches fairly close to where they will live as I am going to notch them and run the brake lines through them. I can't measure off my current axle as it is hard enough with it installed and I have unknown degree shims in the leaf pack. For all I know it could be anywhere from zero to 10 degrees.

Turns out it's in my toolbox back home :( Shoot me a pm to remind me to measure tonight/tomorrow if no one else posts the info. Also, I'd probably get everything set up, very loosely bolt the axle onto the Jeep with the perches not welded at all, lower it very carefully till it's at ride height, then check driveshaft angle, jack it back up, adjust, etc until it's where you want it. Then tack the perches on, jack it back up, pull the axle and weld. I would do all the math/drawings and try to get the driveshaft angle right but I am pretty sure I would screw up somewhere and get it all wrong. I have an 8.8 waiting around to be installed, so I am definitely interested in how your plans turn out.

I would NOT run the brake lines through them - it'll make replacing brake lines difficult unless you bore a hole through the perches large enough to fit a flare nut through, in which case you might as well just do it that way in the end and custom bend the line.

:doh: are you READING HIS POSTS? He's not asking that, he is asking a simple question about what the angle of the perches relative to the pinion (and vice versa) is.

:worship: Now that's hard core right there! I was thinking there was a gap in communication til I got to your post! It would take me an hour to get my angle finder if I did at all.

I will send you a PM if I don't get the info, thanks. I am not going to weld anything till I get it under the rig. The brake lines on my 8.8 were shot and I have a bender, cutter and flaring tool so I am going to bend custom lines anyways. I want the lines up high and out of the way and I have seen stock trucks with the spring perches notched for the lines so I figured I would just do it that way. I just need to get the spring perches mocked up as close to their final destination as planned. I have roughstuff specialties kit and the go a bit around the tubes so I have no worries about creating a big notch if I want to. Too bad the shock mounts they sent me were notched the wrong way.... just need to rant that out!

Turns out it's in my toolbox back home :( Shoot me a pm to remind me to measure tonight/tomorrow if no one else posts the info. Also, I'd probably get everything set up, very loosely bolt the axle onto the Jeep with the perches not welded at all, lower it very carefully till it's at ride height, then check driveshaft angle, jack it back up, adjust, etc until it's where you want it. Then tack the perches on, jack it back up, pull the axle and weld. I would do all the math/drawings and try to get the driveshaft angle right but I am pretty sure I would screw up somewhere and get it all wrong. I have an 8.8 waiting around to be installed, so I am definitely interested in how your plans turn out.

I would NOT run the brake lines through them - it'll make replacing brake lines difficult unless you bore a hole through the perches large enough to fit a flare nut through, in which case you might as well just do it that way in the end and custom bend the line.

:thumbup: ok, just wanted to make sure. The only other thing I have to say about brake lines is - make sure they don't end up between the bumpstop and the axle!

Going to go measure angles now.

EDIT: My 8.25 (96, 3.55:1, no LSD) pinion is pointed up 11 degrees relative to the perches. I measured off the perches and using a largeish socket pressed against the end of the U-joint cap on the pinion side of the joint with the cap pointed straight down; pinion angle relative to ground was +10 degrees while perch angle relative to ground was -1 degree.

Last edited:
No problem, it took like 15min and I'm going to be doing the same thing as you soon, so it's useful info for me to have too. Would have taken me even less time, but go figure, I took the angle finder out of my Jeep a week before needing it (always happens like that...)

yes i was reading his post. sorry i didnt give the answer. i thought the info could help him "figure" it out as i didnt know what he had to work with.

Back