• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Front?

A) search, this question has been asked about a billion times
B) unless you want to spend alot of $$$ there is no bolt in D44 and a cheap one needs some fab skills to make it fit.

bolt in? snag a 44 front out of a rubicon (not a real 44 though, 44 diff 30 tubes). cheap? hell no, the axle itself is gonna be a pretty penny and its got 4.10's youll be regearing your rear depending on what engine your xj came with. early bronco 44's work as far as coil setup,but your still gonna be out a penny or two because of a custom control arm bracketry setup, or designing radius arms to work with the existing brackets, then gears to match. one more option for a bolt in, have one made, currie or dynatrac would be glad to take 3500$ and send you a bolt in dana 44 with all the bells and whistles you want.

i suggest you look here if you haven't already

The local 4x4 shop here gave away a rubicon 44 last week just to get the piece of crap out of the way.

Grand wagoneers are sometimes given away because they don't run and are falling apart. You can pull front and rear axles if you find the year you want. Then fabricate your front brackets.

tell us your budget and we can give you educated options.

Cheap to you might be $2500 or it might be $250.

One thing is for sure - there aint nothin "cheap" about swapping a front axle.

-jm

bigwhitey said:
The local 4x4 shop here gave away a rubicon 44 last week just to get the piece of crap out of the way.

next time they give one away just have them give it to me, i'll take the bigger ring gear over the 30 gear, thats my only beef with the 30

Northridge4x4.com has decent prices on "starter" 44's if you're not up for locating parts. Half the fun though is trying to make it work... I'm in the process of building a 3/4 ton HP44 & 60. Mine are from a 79 F250.

probably the absoulte cheapest D44 for the front of a Jeep would be to find a Jeeper that has done the swap and buy his........assuming you can buy it cheap. otherwise its gonna be expensive.... no matter what way you look at it

Back