• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky plastic fuel line at hard line special tool needed?

Simon 88YJ94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
it looks like the previous owner took a pair of pliars to the high pressure fuel line where it slips onto the double flaired metal line (in other words on the opposite end of the quick disconnect hose that goes into the rail) under the intake.
The pliars left teeth marks and these marks have started seeping. I managed to slip one of the hoses a little further onto the hard line (getting the small hole up onto the metal) which has stopped the leak for the moment but I want to replace them... There's got to be a special tool for getting this easilly damaged plastic high pressure line onto the hard line.

If not does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

damaging the ears of the plastic thing (if im reading that correctly) should not cause it to leak, what most likely happened, is they did pop it out for whatever reason and did not replace the o-rings. if you re-use o-rings they most certainly will leak.

the plastic thing slides out of the fuel rail, and there are 3 o-rings (2 rubber and 1 spacer) that come in a little kit. i have never found the kit other than with a fuel pressure regulator or something similar, but since they are already leaking maybe you could take them out and try to find generic o-rings to replace them

-Tim

I just had the same problem with my '87 and determined that I was missing some O-rings. I looked around for replacement rings, but couldn't find any sold by themselves. Picked up the whole kit at the dealership for $20. It even had a disposable tool with the rings, spacers, and "quick disco" plastic ear thing on it. Everything gets inserted into the flexible hose side. Took all of 3 minutes to replace, and no problems with leaks or wondering if I found the right parts.

okay guys I'm talking about the OTHER end of these lines... Not the neat easy to figure out quick disconnect that plugs into the fuel rail and regulator... The other end of this plastic flexible high pressure line connects to the metal fuel line UNDER the Intake, the plastic mates to the hard line via slipping it over a double flare in the metal tubing... it doesn't slip very willingly because the plastic doesn't expand easy... this is where the PO used pliars and where it leaks (the teeth marks of the pliars are very obvious)

I have managed to coax the plastic further onto the metal hard line to get the leak JUST far enough onto the metal that it no longer leaks but the hole is there and this is a weakness in a high pressure fuel line which is inches away from hot exhaust headers... needless to say I want to replace this or at least cut off the damaged plastic and slip the remaining line back on. But not with a pair of pliars... thus my question is their a technique to slip this not very flexible plastic onto the hard line or a special tool? Pliars are obviously not a safe method.

Once again not the plug in quick disconnects... the OTHER end of these plastic lines where it meets the metal hard lines.

Simon 88YJ94XJ said:
okay guys I'm talking about the OTHER end of these lines... Not the neat easy to figure out quick disconnect that plugs into the fuel rail and regulator... The other end of this plastic flexible high pressure line connects to the metal fuel line UNDER the Intake, the plastic mates to the hard line via slipping it over a double flare in the metal tubing... it doesn't slip very willingly because the plastic doesn't expand easy... this is where the PO used pliars and where it leaks (the teeth marks of the pliars are very obvious)

I have managed to coax the plastic further onto the metal hard line to get the leak JUST far enough onto the metal that it no longer leaks but the hole is there and this is a weakness in a high pressure fuel line which is inches away from hot exhaust headers... needless to say I want to replace this or at least cut off the damaged plastic and slip the remaining line back on. But not with a pair of pliars... thus my question is their a technique to slip this not very flexible plastic onto the hard line or a special tool? Pliars are obviously not a safe method.

Once again not the plug in quick disconnects... the OTHER end of these plastic lines where it meets the metal hard lines.
When I put the 99+ intake on my Renix I had to use fuel injection hose to get to that front connection on the fuel rail. I would honestly suggest that, its held up for me just fine and it eliminates the worry of those quick disconnects. Just make sure you get INJECTION hose and get it over the flares on the lines. That's what I would do.

BigBlackHeep said:
When I put the 99+ intake on my Renix I had to use fuel injection hose to get to that front connection on the fuel rail. I would honestly suggest that, its held up for me just fine and it eliminates the worry of those quick disconnects. Just make sure you get INJECTION hose and get it over the flares on the lines. That's what I would do.

from what i understand that is considered an acceptable fix. i would add DO NOT use regular hose clamps if at all possible. go buy some "fuel injection" hose clamps and you'll be fine.

Ten High said:
from what i understand that is considered an acceptable fix. i would add DO NOT use regular hose clamps if at all possible. go buy some "fuel injection" hose clamps and you'll be fine.
Yeah I dunno. I was nervous with it at first but then I kicked myself for not thinking first that everything back by the tank is held together that way. It's been about a month now and no leaks so far.

BigBlackHeep said:

I'll definitely go that route if I can't figure out how to get the plastic kind to slip on better.

The fuel rail and regulator are not flared so I'd rather use the OEM method for getting these things attached to the hard lines (whatever that happens to be) short of taking it to a dealer of course.

Back