• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 XJ Driveline/SYE/and Steering Questions

wade_hack

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. I'm new here and have no experience with jeeps at all. I've been a Toyota guy for years.
I bought an 86 XJ. It has a 2.8, 5-speed manual, and a NP207 TC.
I'm lifting the thing 7 or so inches. I'm wondering what everyone does for drive lines. I hear it's possible to use front drive lines from newer jeeps. What year I don't know. I also hear that they would possibly be to short because I have a manual trans.
It's going to need a SYE kit or a hack & Tap. I looked them both up but their specs don't seem to cover what I have for a trans & TC combo. Will it work anyway?
Are there any parts swaps from other vehicles. I'd like to hear everyones opinion on how this can be done.
I read a post on an xj buid where they used a 3/4 or 1 ton chevy tie rod and drag link for steering. That seems like a great upgrade. Has anyone done this? If so how would I go about it, and is it a good idea?
Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.
Thanks.

Welcome. I think Rubicon Express makes an adapter to add a SYE to the NP207 but I would consider swapping to a NP231 if possible. The tie-rod and draglink from a V8 ZJ is alot bigger than what you have stock and is a bolt-on replacement. Another swap you might consider is a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle from a 91+ XJ. It is a bolt-in replacement and alot stronger than the Dana 35 you have now.
Also, this site has alot of info for the 84-86 XJ's: http://earlyxj.com/
Good luck.

Thanks for the info.
What year of a V8 ZJ. I'm not sure I know what a ZJ looks like. I'm not very Jeep savvy.
I realize I'll need a drop Pittman arm. Will that be enough make my steering work correctly with a 6.5 to 7" in lift?. What about the Track rod? Will a drop bracket work or do I need an adjustable with a drop bracket.

alright, first off (not to be a d-bag) but why are you lifting it that high?
you should start lurking around naxja before you ask these things,
the zj v8 tierod: you need to get one with the 20mm end (as in an early model zj)

drivelines: you will need an SYE and because you have a 5 speed (i'm guessing its a BA 10/5) you would use a zj front shaft with a moderate lift but it will probably need to be lengthened to fit a 7" lift. the front shaft may be one that has a cv joint, get rid of it and the yoke on the 30 and get one from a newer xj but be sure the driveshaft is one from a 5 speed (it can be an ax-15 cause they're only 1/4" shorter then your ba10/5)

the steering from a chevy will not just bolt on, and i'm sure you've just heard of people using the 1 ton tie rod ends for their steering setup, that requires reaming pitman arm and both knuckles to the taper of the 1ton's (7/8's?) as well as making a custom tierod/draglink

the tracbar: you will need an adjustable or at least custom tracbar and a drop bracket (most likely) to run 7" or anything above 3.5"

my opinion: buy this book, http://www.ericsxj.com/book.htm
OR save the 25$ and look around naxja for a while before you start asking noob questions, most everyone here is willing to help but can only take so many "what do you think about my lift?" threads.
next: get around a 4.5" lift and some moderate tires (33-35's) and have a great time with it

good luck on your new purchase, but you should get a 4.0/ax-15/231 in there soon haha

PS it logged me out in the time it took to write this, you're welcome :rof:

I ran 6" of lift in the '84 and had no vibrations. Aslo, if you do lift it that much what tires you going to run? I ran 36's with 6" and triming and broke stuff with the 9"/44 combo. If you do lift it that much look for a 2.5L 2wd rear DS it is longer if you do need it it is a cheap fix. If you need a longer front the 4.0 front is longer and can be easily cut down.

alright, first off (not to be a d-bag) but why are you lifting it that high?
you should start lurking around naxja before you ask these things,
the zj v8 tierod: you need to get one with the 20mm end (as in an early model zj)

drivelines: you will need an SYE and because you have a 5 speed (i'm guessing its a BA 10/5) you would use a zj front shaft with a moderate lift but it will probably need to be lengthened to fit a 7" lift. the front shaft may be one that has a cv joint, get rid of it and the yoke on the 30 and get one from a newer xj but be sure the driveshaft is one from a 5 speed (it can be an ax-15 cause they're only 1/4" shorter then your ba10/5)

the steering from a chevy will not just bolt on, and i'm sure you've just heard of people using the 1 ton tie rod ends for their steering setup, that requires reaming pitman arm and both knuckles to the taper of the 1ton's (7/8's?) as well as making a custom tierod/draglink

the tracbar: you will need an adjustable or at least custom tracbar and a drop bracket (most likely) to run 7" or anything above 3.5"

my opinion: buy this book, http://www.ericsxj.com/book.htm
OR save the 25$ and look around naxja for a while before you start asking noob questions, most everyone here is willing to help but can only take so many "what do you think about my lift?" threads.
next: get around a 4.5" lift and some moderate tires (33-35's) and have a great time with it

good luck on your new purchase, but you should get a 4.0/ax-15/231 in there soon haha

PS it logged me out in the time it took to write this, you're welcome :rof:

Thanks for taking the time to answer some noobs questions.That really is great info.
I wasn't asking what anyone though about my lift. You just gave me your opinion. I have been doing alot of research on this, and am just looking for first hand info. Though I appreciate your info, I do not appreciate the sarcasm.
Thanks Again
Wade

my first hand info is that lower is better... I'm at about 5" with 35's, and heavy trimming, and it's great. at 7" you're going to need long arms too, short arms just aren't going to cut it. I had to get the driveshaft out of a very specific ZJ front, and yes, there's only one type that it comes out of. But I have the 4.0/ax-15/231, so I'm guessing that you having a different engine will mean you need an even longer shaft. I have a H&T sye and it works just fine (so far anyway). and as Flyingbrick said, you'll need to ream out the knuckles to fit the chevy steering stuff. I'm going to heim steering in the next couple days (whenever my parts get here) which means I'll have to drill the knuckles out straight - another option.

front shaft out of a 93-95.5 5.2L V-8 ZJ is what you would need for your rear, assuming that the lengths are similar to mine. Plus the flange adapter.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007930&page=2

Good luck, but I'd agree to keep it as low as you can get away with. taller just raises your COG making you all tipsy

Thanks Tayman.
I do have a long arm kit to use. After reading what everyone has to say, I've changed my approach. I'm going to go 6" coils w/no spacer for the front. For the rear I'll try 5" springs and a 1" shackle. Nothing crazy. I'll add a 8.25 rear. After I add all the bumpers and armor it should end up around 5" total. I had planned 7" of lift knowing that by adding all the armor weight it would probably drop a good inch.

Thanks Tayman.
I do have a long arm kit to use. After reading what everyone has to say, I've changed my approach. I'm going to go 6" coils w/no spacer for the front. For the rear I'll try 5" springs and a 1" shackle. Nothing crazy. I'll add a 8.25 rear. After I add all the bumpers and armor it should end up around 5" total. I had planned 7" of lift knowing that by adding all the armor weight it would probably drop a good inch.

Good call. That sounds better. Another option for a rear axle is the Dana 44 - Stronger than the 8.25, but a bit harder to find.

Thanks for taking the time to answer some noobs questions.That really is great info.
I wasn't asking what anyone though about my lift. You just gave me your opinion. I have been doing alot of research on this, and am just looking for first hand info. Though I appreciate your info, I do not appreciate the sarcasm.
Thanks Again
Wade

sarcasm? lol.
what sarcasm? for that post to be any more polite, it'd include a handjob.

sarcasm? lol.
what sarcasm? for that post to be any more polite, it'd include a handjob.

yeah, no handjobs included

just a warning, many companies like Rubicon Express advertise their lifts at a lower height then it will actually net in the real world, to compensate for bumpers winches, and armor. We wheel our junk, manufactures know that and compensate for it. Just something to think about.

Back