• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Its got a leak! Wet carpet

dodgethis12

NAXJA Forum User
Ok Im an Xj newb so bare with me. ( I searched)

So last week we had alot of rain. My XJ sat outside on the car hauler still strapped down from when I brought it home. Last nite I unloaded it and got to looking underneath and noticed someone had patched the floor pans on the pass side from the bottom side above the exhaust pipe.

Upon returning to the top side, I discovered that the carpet on the pass side frt. floor pan was soaked and actually had green stuff growing on it!!! the carpet is not wet as it goes up under the dash if that makes sense....

It looks like the water is comiing in from underneath the pass side kick panel and it settling iin the lowest portion of the floor pan.

Can anyone help me? Do XJ's have a common leak problem? Where is this coming from? I thought it was the windshield gasket, but the carpet up around t he firewall is bone dry...... I think the carpet in the rear pass floor pan was damp as well.

Thanks guys...

Its a 93 XJ 4.0 auto 4 dr.

quadratec.com and rockauto.com both have them. There are a few other sites too, but those are the ones I really keep going back to.

Can anyone help me? Do XJ's have a common leak problem? Where is this coming from? I thought it was the windshield gasket, but the carpet up around t he firewall is bone dry......

Its a 93 XJ 4.0 auto 4 dr.

My leaking issue was the small vent window gasket, but that soaked the carpet, and only happened when I parked "nose downhill". It was running down the gutter, down the window and down the side of the door panel. See if your door panel is wet.

I would also check the seal around your heater blower motor (under the hood on the firewall). They can get dry and cracked by the heat, both from the heater but more from the consistent heat in the engine bay. You can take off the bolts and seal it with some silicon or replace the rubber gasket itself.

So Im going to check the door panels and heater blower motor. Maybe I'll pull off the cowl piece and take a look under there as well. It just sucks cuz I want to get this thing on the road... and now I've gotta put floor pans in it!!

Common areas for pass side leakage: Blower motor housing (foam crappy gasket), windshield, AC/ cowl drain plugged up. Another one is the antenna wire grommet through the inner fender but you have to be driving for that to happen.

Black RTV around the blower motor gasket (you don't have to remove the blower to do this since it's the gasket between the blower motor HOUSING and firewall. There is a windshield "seeping" thin sealer you can get for the windshield seal. Make sure it's the seal and not a rust issue in one of the windshield corners.

I bought a 98 xj a couple months ago and it was doing the same thing,noticed it more when it rained but it turned out to be the drain tube for the heater unit.whenever turned on a/c or defrost it would leak slowly in my floor because little outlet hose was clogged.Its located on passenger side above inner fender well in the engine capartment.

I just put a small screw driver in the drain hose and unclogged it.

There is a vent opening in the passenger side cowl where the HVAC box gets its fresh air from. It develops a leak some times. You have the option of removing the dash and replace the seal, which means draining the AC and pulling the HVAC box ... or you can cut a hole in the passenger side cowl and seal it with some silicone.

i had a similar problem, except mine was wet on both sides. it turned out being this rubber piece that is riveted to the underside of the A pilar. it was warped and deformed. i guess it deflects the water coming down from the gutter into the front of the door. i got a piece of wood and some black RTV and put some RTV under the rubber "L" shaped piece and then used then propped the wood up to hold it in place until it dried. then i put a little more RTV in the corner to totally seal it. it looked like there was 2 sided tape there from the factory. it hasn't leaked since

didnt find your write up but did find some other helpful threads...

Guess Ill start digging tonite..

Any good tips on drying the carpet without comepletely removing it? Im gonna take out the seats so I can roll back the carpet up front for the floor pan repairs.

Drying the carpet isn't the problem. There is some mat under the carpet that soaks up the water. Rolling back the carpet is a good idea and throw a few fans in there to blow on it.

Next time it rains (or you have someone hold a water hose on it) check the inside at the bottom of the door where the flat trim piece is; the water will drip down onto the carpet from there.

My carpet got wet after a night of rain once, and I saw water dripping out from that location.

Back