• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Probleme

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Xj just put pads and rotors on acouple of months ago. My brakes have started to grind some times mostly at slow speeds around parking lots does not do it at speed when braking sounds like a rock in the pad and caliper Started shortly after the 32's went on any one have similar prob. Please help.

And I have posted this same question on another site so the people who will tell me that I did this I know. I am hoping some one had this issue somewhere and will be able to help.

Sure it is the brakes and not the 32s rubbing the LCAs?

Does it happen when turning? When driving forward and/or backward? When driving straight? How hard/fast do you have to apply the brakes to make it happen?

Usally slow speed around parking lots some times in turns when braking but it is fine when i am coming up to a light and stop. Pulled it all apart and every thing looks fine sounds like it is the front drivers side. I will check the rear tonight when i get home from work love working int the dark and cold it s the best

Are you sure it isn't your tires rubbing on your LCAs or fenders? When you lifted, did you re-center your axle?

:flamemad:Never use autozone cheap pads. i always use mid to high grade pads This was the first time i cheaped out because i had also put on rotors and thought I would save some cash. Jackass:dunce:

I hope it does not start again drove a bit tonight and nothing stops like a dream let see in acouple of days what happens

I'm pretty much done with autozone for anything but fluids and such, the high dollar duralast pads are only marginally better than the $10 ones... just about every duralast part I've used I've had to replace again

I just read an article in a magazine I got from my machine shop. The article was on diagnosing noises and there was a case mentioned that just had new pads that made a grinding noise, like yours. Replacing the pads fixed it. There was also another case with a similar issue where the hub was damaged and caused a similar noise due to the hub causing .015" rotor run out.

Back