• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny slipping...???...

WrEkLEsSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
idk whats going on with it really.. i searched for a while but didnt find anyone with a similar problem/experience... ok so first basically its a 96 xj with about 160,000 or so miles. 4.0 aw4 blah blah blah. whats happening is the tranny just slips out of gear. and it doesnt do it all the time.. in fact it doesnt do it at all when driving around town. it really only happens when im wheelin and going up a steep hill climb.. slips out of gear and i roll backwards down the hill. any ideas what it could be?

last time at RC. should definately have made this no problem... tranny kept slipping on me when i got about half way up wont grab again until the jeep is completely stopped :dunno:

DSC01475.jpg

in the comp course.. the cement hillclimb.....

Well, the only thing different would be angle and possibly the temperature of the transmission if you have crawling all day.

When was the last time you had the pan off? Condition of the fluid? What fluid?

Thinking maybe a partially blocked filter could be reducing fluid at an angle.

Could be a low fluid level. When you are on a steep incline, there might not be enough in the torque converter to keep power to the transmission.

Well, the only thing different would be angle and possibly the temperature of the transmission if you have crawling all day.

When was the last time you had the pan off? Condition of the fluid? What fluid?

Thinking maybe a partially blocked filter could be reducing fluid at an angle.

ill hafta check the filter out very well could be my problem.. running dex/merc and levels are good.. actually just put new fluid in :rolleyes:.. did a hayden 405 tranny cooler about a week ago (same results before and after)

Back