• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing oem power options

green95xj

NAXJA Forum User
i have 2 97 xjs both 4.0 aw4 231. One is fully loaded the other has no options at all. How hard is it to swap the power heated mirrors,power windows,cruise,rear defroster,rear wiper. I onlt found some info on swapping the cruise in but still havent found anyone that has a write up on it.If anyone has done this or has any ideas on what i should pull from the loaded jeep it would be apreciated as it has to go to the junkyard this weekend, Thanks

Not sure about rear defroster and wiper (mine came with those) but cruise control is easy to swap, maybe 20min worth of work. You'll need a steering wheel puller and some care (while swapping clocksprings), and will need to disable the airbags temporarily to avoid a sudden, unexpected punch in the face. That's about the worst part of it. Power heated mirrors and power windows should require some hardware swaps (not bad) and at worst a wiring harness swap for each door - not sure about that, you might need to pull the kick panels to get to the connectors. You'll also need to swap the door liners, which might result in you swapping power locks as well, I'm not sure.

I looked under the hood of the xj with no cruise and I don't see anywhere for it to plug in. Do I have to take the wireing harness out of the old jeep to get it to work? If so do you know how much and where it goes? Also do I need anything else? Anyone have a complete list of stuff I need to pull to be able to do this thanks.

You shouldn't need to take the wiring harness - the connector may be tucked down under something like the fuse box, I've seen that before.

Full parts list (I think):
* cruise solenoid and the throttle cable + bracket connected to it, vacuum line stub as well
* clockspring (under steering wheel)
* cruise switches on steering wheel
* depending on model year, I believe the older model years (not sure which) had a vacuum break switch built into the switch on the brake pedal so the cruise gets killed when you hit the brakes. Compare the brake pedal switches, if they are the same don't bother swapping

The ECU always has the feature built in, so that shouldn't be an issue. Mostly it's bolt-in and go. I know bmyohn has a thread going about this, not sure if he's finished the project yet or not.

The destination vehicle probably won't have the right harnessing for the mirrors, plan on cutting the connector tails for the mirrors and switch off of the body harness of the donor truck, and build your own harness. Strap it to the body harness to keep it neat, and you're all set.

Make sure you get the trim panels off the doors to cover where the joysticks on the manual mirrors go, too.

You can just swap the door harnesses over if you have the dedication - the body harness will probably work either way (I think, I'd have to check parts catalogs/search to be sure.) X2 on the trim panels, forgot about those. You're lucky having two of the same model year sitting in your driveway to swap parts on at your leisure... consider me jealous.

I can speak from experience if both 97's have power windows, you can swap the heated mirrors over.

I swapped heated mirrors from a 98 Sport on to my 97 SE that only had power windows. Plugs are the same and everything works perfectly.

Back