• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your Pinion and DS angle...

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just wondering what kind of lift/suspension setup/shims/tcase drop/SYE/normal DS/whatever everyone has, and what their pinion and DS angle is (difference). Also post what vibes you have... Copy and paste the below to keep it simple. Hopefully someone with a 96+/8.25/same lift and stuff as I have will post their angle so I have a good idea of where I'll be to get it in the 1-2* range that's ideal for a DD Jeep.
Thanks,
Matt

Your Year of XJ: 1996
Lift: 3.5" RE (new leafs)
Driveshaft and DS mods: front XJ with hack-n-tap, all new ujoints
Tcase Drop: none
Shims: 4*
Rearend: Dana 30
Vibrations: only at 60+ mph
Pinion vs DS angle: unknown so help me here.

will post pictures of boobs (forum appropriate ones) for info
boobs.jpg

Your Year of XJ: 1996
Lift: 3.5" RE (new leafs)
Driveshaft and DS mods: front XJ with hack-n-tap, all new ujoints
Rearend: Dana 30
Vibrations: only at 60+ mph
Pinion vs DS angle: unknown so help me here.
Unless you know the angles are out of whack you shouldn't be using shims so the first thing is to remove them and measure the angle. With the RE 3.5 you should be pretty close without shims.

Read this to see how the angles should be setup -- http://www.4xshaft.com/driveline101.html.

Pinion angle should be 1-2 degrees lower (nose down) than the slip yoke to allow for axle wrap when it is put under load

Your Year of XJ: 1999
Lift: 6" see sig
Driveshaft and DS mods: custom rear with hack-n-tap,
Shims: 6*
Rearend: 8.25
Vibrations: only at 75+ mph
Pinion vs DS angle: pinion 1*less than DS.
Front: pinion 9* driveshaft 9*

I've done some searching but I cannot find out the proper flat spot on the front axle to measure the pinion angle. If anyone could speak up as to where to set the angle finder I would appreciate it much!
Thanks in advance.

You couldn't have searched too hard...

The proper place, per the FSM is a socket placed on the u-joint CAP. You do not measure at the axle housing, it is not equal to the pinion angle.
Make sure the cap is in the down position. Place the angle finder on the TC Yoke cap. Rotate the DS 90 degrees and measure the DS the same way. Subtract. Repeat for axle side.

For a normal drive shaft ( as the rear came stock with) The angles should be equal and opposite like this -\_

If you are using a SYE and a DS with a slip joint, or are doing the Front axle, then it should look like this -\ with the axle pinion and DS angle being close to zero difference, or just a little down.

In both cases, the Rear axle pinion should never, ever, never, be above the drive shaft as in this relationship /--\
The Front axle pinion is allowed to be zero angle or just a bit above that.

See turorial pointed about above. Good Luck!

Ron

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Yeah i know how each style D.S. is supposed to angle in relation to the T/case. I have looked at the tutorial above many times.
It makes sense to use the u-joints because those are closest to the pinions on either ends.

I'm Curious myself as I am in the process of installing an 8.25 and a Hack/Tap SYE using a front DS.
Will I have to shim the Rear end ? if so How much ?
If I take measurments with the D35 still in it, will it be the same with the 8.25 ?

My Setup:
4" lift front, 5" lift rear
Vibes are worst at 30-40 mph
No TC drop

Just got done adjusting my front pinion angle.....whew what an ordeal! That friggin axle wanted to twist around on me like crazy. But finally worked it out.

Thanks Zuk for the tip! It worked beautifully!

Year of XJ: 1999 Classic
Lift: 4.5" RE 6130 (new leafs)
Driveshaft and DS mods: TomWoods shaft, AA SYE
Rearend: Chrysler 8.25
Vibrations: none that I'm aware of
Rear Pinion vs DS angle: 2* pinion down (pinion= 12*, DS=14*)
Front pinon vs DS angle: 0*

I'm just wondering what kind of lift/suspension setup/shims/tcase drop/SYE/normal DS/whatever everyone has, and what their pinion and DS angle is (difference). Also post what vibes you have... Copy and paste the below to keep it simple. Hopefully someone with a 96+/8.25/same lift and stuff as I have will post their angle so I have a good idea of where I'll be to get it in the 1-2* range that's ideal for a DD Jeep.
Thanks,
Matt
QUOTE]

Just got done adjusting my front pinion angle.....whew what an ordeal! That friggin axle wanted to twist around on me like crazy. But finally worked it out.

Thanks Zuk for the tip! It worked beautifully!

My "boy" was twisting around on me like crazy when I saw that picture too.....:laugh:

Back