• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has broken a 29spline 8.25 shaft??

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just got 456`s and a detroit in mine, I`m running 35x12.5 SSrs, goin to the dixie run at tellico early october, I`m already planning on getting spare shafts, but i`m just curious what tire size yall were running when it gave away.!

I didnt break mine but a buddy of mine did running the warn shafts and 33x12.50 tires with a detroit locker first time he took them out but we think there was a flaw in the axle because he wasent doing anything to hardcore.

anybody else....??? or do the shafts not break all that easy

azxjman said:
I didnt break mine but a buddy of mine did running the warn shafts and 33x12.50 tires with a detroit locker first time he took them out but we think there was a flaw in the axle because he wasent doing anything to hardcore.

Are you sure your buddy had an 8.25? I don't believe anyone other than Dutchman makes shafts for the 8.25.

To the original post, I have never broken a 29-spline 8.25 shaft running 33 and now 34" tires with 4.56's and a locker. I don't run easy trials either.

I am sure he he was running the 8.25 maybe I was mistaken on the warn shafts in the rear I know someone said something about him running warn shafts. I will have to ask him next time I see him.

I've seen Carpenter on Lower 2. He does not run easy trails but then again I never saw him beat the snoot out of it either. But then again with a sweet rig like that I wouldn't either.

from what I have researched, I dont expect to break it, but just in case, Im goin to get some spare shafts.

I haven't seen an 8.25 shaft break, but I also haven't run with too many on hardcore trails. I have seen alloy D44 (30 spline) and alloy 9" (31 spline) shafts break, so it's certainly possible. I'd get the spares like you plan on, better safe than sorry.

Any body have a writeup on changing an 8.25 shaft? I've never done it and would like to know what all is involved...

over a year ago and not many have broken then it seemed. just wanting to get an update on who else has. i'm running 33's 4.56s and a no-slip. i'm not to hard on it and carry 2 spares so i know i'll be ok. just wondering what everyone elses experiences are

I broke 2 OEM 8.25 shafts on my '99 axle.
Both went out right at the nub for the c-clip, making the trail repair 'extra zesty'.
This was on 31" MTRs, with stock gearing and a NoSlip in the rear.
Both were 'spin...grab...break' scenarios when 'popping' myself over something that I shouldn't have been on, and I had a bad feeling both times.
I went to Dutchman shafts after that, and treated them far less gently, and never had a problem.
HTH.

No problems with mine on 35"s for the last 6 months.
Ran them with 33"s for a year and a half and no probs.
Cratered my TCshaft, but the axles stayed.
Wish it was the axle, then I wouldn't have had to miss Pritchett.
Anyway, I use mine like it's a 60 and I've been lucky to date.
I also have 2 spares (f/r) just in case.
I expect they'll blow any time now.

if/when i jump to 35's should i invest in dutchmans, also what do they run? dont plan on swapping axles since i just regeared and locked it.

Ramsey said:
if/when i jump to 35's should i invest in dutchmans, also what do they run? dont plan on swapping axles since i just regeared and locked it.
I think they are a good investment. I plan on them when I can afford them.

I swapped in the 8.25 from a d35 and have been very impressed with the strength it has shown.

that should take care of the rear. what are you running up front

Ramsey said:
that should take care of the rear. what are you running up front
d30 with welded caps. Maybe someday I'll swap that out too or hybridize it, but I haven't had reason to yet.

Perhaps the lines I take reduce damage to my junk, but folks on here can attest that I don't take it easy.

Like I said, I expect that it'll break quite soon. 'Specially since I have jinxed myself on this thread.

My brother and I both run them on 33's with good luck. He uses excessive force when ever possible, loves to see tires smoking. If I hadn't already started an 8.8, I'd just stick with the 8.25.

Back