• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE TRACKBARS SEIZING

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Another person here is giving away a seized RE trackbar. I had to overnight one last week to replace mine after just trying to adjust the Heim joint. (recentering my axle after some inchitis) Damn thing would NOT move. Figured, OK, I'll take the torch to it, screw the Heim, I'll put a new one in. Torch only allowed me to back out about half way before becoming completely immobile. (got a new Heim from RE first)

Threads are NOT stripped and look clean actually, no visible rust either. Torch trashes the Teflon in the Heim of course.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm sending mine back to RE and asking them to look at it. Maybe they'll feel obliged to compensate me in some way. One thing I did notice is the Heim they sent AND the one on the whole new track bar were zinc coated. The original wasn't

Thinking about it, I'm gonna pull it down in the AM and put a coat of anti-seize on the threads.

At least I have a spare Heim! :D

Last edited:
That is why I never recommend the RE1600. Piece of crap one shot wonder. I have seen five in the last few years seize up just like you are talking about, one of them the joint broke completely off trying to unscrew it with a 4 foot breaker bar.

ALWAYS use antiseize on threads you want to remove or be able to adjust later. Its not RE's falt that you didnt coat the threads before you installed the bar.

AARON

I have the dreaded RE1600 as well. I (believe it or not) have had zero problems out of it. I bought it used for next to nothing. With that said, I fugured I'd run it till it brakes. I keep the entire heim well lubed with Fluid Film, it's a thick protective coating, corrosion preventive stuff I "borrowed" from work. I also lathered the threads on the heim with anti-sieze. I've removed the trackbar for various reasons since and it has been smooth and un-eventful. As of now, it shows no signs of wear or fatigue. I would agree that the RE1600 is far from the ideal XJ trackbar. However, if well taken care of it will last a good long while and serve it's purpose.

;)

Hale

Slather the entire joint w/grease, a handful, I use mobil 1, acts as a dust boot, looks like crap but performs like a charm...

been there done it...

Back