• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Whining Noise

m42duster

NAXJA Forum User
I have read several threads that seem to describe the exact same noise/condition that I am having, but none of those threads had a resolution.

Anyhow, I am hearing a high pitched whining sound that begins at around 30 mph then gets hidden within the noise at speed. I do not feel any vibration associated with it. Bearings and wheel joints seem ok, no obvious play. Also, the noise remains if I shift into neutral and shut the engine off.

I can't really tell if this noise is coming from less troublesome (less expensive) areas or my differential. What sources would be eliminated if I were to remove the front drive shaft to see if the noise disappeared or remained.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

2000 XJ 4.0 auto, 130,000 miles.

[FONT=&quot]
I can't really tell if this noise is coming from less troublesome (less expensive) areas or my differential. What sources would be eliminated if I were to remove the front drive shaft to see if the noise disappeared or remained.
2000 XJ 4.0 auto, 130,000 miles.

I had a similar noise in my 2001 XJ. I tried removing the front DS and it made no difference. Everything still spins in the front with the DS disconnected.
I finally put the XJ on jack stands, removed the wheels and ran it in gear. With a mechanics steposcope (or use a piece of heater hose), I was able to pinpoint the front pinion bearing.[/FONT]

Back