• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke power steering reservoir

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short I broke the output on the reservoir, that hooks to the return line tube. My question is the reservoir replaceable? Or is it a waste of time and just replace the whole pump and all?
In this pic its on the back with the red plug in it.
68003-lg.jpg

The second part to my dilema is that I was replacing the steering box at the same time & thats how I messed up the little plastic piece. I pulled the pump from the yard & when I hooked it up the fluid came thru dirty. I ran fluid thru it a couple times & it was still a little dirty. Everything was working, until it started leaking from where I broke the reservoir and tried to fix it with jb weld epoxy. Then the fluid got frothy. WTF did I do haha... thats why I am hesitant about getting a new pump at the moment until I am sure the steering box is ok, but it seems to work fine, just so far has made the fluid dirty.

I drove it 30 miles last night, leaking like hell but I made it home, steering box works like I said.

You'll need a puller/installer for the pulley if you decide to swap the pump.. if you dont have one just replace the cannister.

If you have to buy it complete Harbor Freight has those pullers.

Yeah word to the wise this is what I should have done, like this guy, and just cut the damn tube. It looks like you would have to remove the pump to get the reservoir off I think. It slides off the back of it maybe?

ps-4.jpg

Ok so I have been searching a few hours, and found this on my way through the internet. It looks like you can seperate the reservoir from the pump. I just dont know if you can do it while it is in the vehicle, Ill have to try later and see I guess..

the instructions
http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/pspump/pspump-1.htm
ps-6.jpg

I did that too, years ago. I bought a new pump because I figured I'd break the reservoir trying to remove it.

It looks like you can seperate the reservoir from the pump. I just don't know if you can do it while it is in the vehicle

It is much easier to remove the pump first. Getting to the bottom reservoir clips is just about impossible when it’s in the vehicle.
I usually buy pumps with a new reservoir included since the plastic is old and more likely to break. The reservoirs do not appear to be available separately.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

It is much easier to remove the pump first. Getting to the bottom reservoir clips is just about impossible when it’s in the vehicle.
I usually buy pumps with a new reservoir included since the plastic is old and more likely to break. The reservoirs do not appear to be available separately.

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

yeah looks that way, damn sucks I have to replace it. just dosent seem worth doing much else. I hope I can get it off without breaking mores stuff.

Back