• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep #2, replacement of my 87XJ with my 00XJ!

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have not posted up any info on my Jeep build so I thought I would start. For the most part I have been just getting the parts I need together so I can just do everything at once. Here is what I have done so far.

NWFest08242.jpg

Here is what the Jeep looks like currently. 2000 Limited, 4.0, automatic, 2 inch budget boost, on 31's. Love this XJ!

BuildTCase.jpg

Took out the 242 and installed my 231 out of my other Jeep. Took the 231 apart to inspect and install a Tera 2low, 4 years of wheeling and everything looked great inside. Took the 242 apart and installed new seals and shift fork bushings, will be selling it soon.

BuildARBSwitchs.jpg
BuildCompressor.jpg

Mounted my ARB compressor and Front locker switch in the dash, also installed my ARB compressor from my old XJ and wired everything up. Need to rubber mount the compressor, it shakes the Jeep!

Buildfrontrearaxle.jpg

I am building a 79 Ford F-150 dana 44 high pinion, "3 inch axle tubes will be way better than thin dana 30 tubes!". Had it narrowed to 62in wms to wms. I am going to use all chevy 6 lug outers with warn premium hubs. It will have a ARB air-locker and 5.38 gears.

Buildrearaxle.jpg

Rear axle is a Dana 44 out of a Isuzu Rodeo. It has factory disk brakes, factory 4.10 gears "don't need a new carrier to install 5.38's", stronger tapered wheel bearings, 6 lug bolt pattern, and a width of 58in WMS to WMS. I will run 1.5in wheel spacers on each side to bring the width to 61in WMS to WMS.

BuildLockright.jpg

Have the lockright installed in the rear axle carrier, would have had the gears installed too but the isuzu dana 44 uses one different pinion bearing than a standard dana 44. The guy that installs gears for us at Landcruiser NW is going to teach me how to install gears so I will set up my own gears.

BuildKnuckes.jpg

Chevy small spindle flat top knuckles, had to have one machined and tapped for the high steer arm "thanks R&P offroad." Installed spicer premium ball joints. Steering will consist of 1 ton tierod ends and the tierod will run from knuckle to knuckle.

BuildBearings-1.jpg

I have all the parts I need to put the front axle together. Timken wheel bearings, good rotors, calipers & pads, and warn hubs. Can't wait to get the front axle done!

Next step will be to weld on my HD engineering frame plates from the leaf spring hangers all the way to the front bumper. I have the gears for both axles and the ARB for the front axle. Need to call up my gear install guru and have him show me how to set gears up. Also need to order new wheel bearings and axle seals for the rear axle and axle shaft seals for the front axle. Getting closer but still have a ways to go.

I was sad to see the old rig go, but I like where this one is going. It will be a great setup.

Is the suspension going to be the same as the 87?
I will run fox 2.5 airshocks up front with a custom 3 link suspension. Need to build a engine cage to mount the air shocks for the front. The rear will be my old XJ suspension, "4.5inch rustys leafs, HD engineering adjustable shackle hangers, and my homemade shackles." I will also be running fox shocks in the back. Still need to purchase shocks and johny joints for the front.

It is a nice daily driver Jeep right now but I would rather have a car to drive on the street, "Subaru some time I hope." It looks good but it already has its first few dents, they were not from me though. It also is real close to 300,000 miles. New parts would be nice even though it still is going strong, just has a rear main leak. I already know I like alot of things about this 00 compared to my 87.

The tires "35x12.5-15 KM2's" and wheels "15x8 black steel" will be getting sold together. Also have a 5th wheel with a spare 35inch BFG KM.

I will be going with 37's, I am thinking Kevlar MT/Rs, we get a discount on them at work and I think they will work well. Will be getting 17" wheels, some form of beadlock hopefully. Either trail gear, trail ready, or homemade steel wheels.

I will be going with 37's, I am thinking Kevlar MT/Rs, we get a discount on them at work and I think they will work well. Will be getting 17" wheels, some form of beadlock hopefully. Either trail gear, trail ready, or homemade steel wheels.
Great choice on tires. I personally think the TG's are fugly and DIY steel wheels just never work for street use. In a 17" rim you have a lot of choices, at the top of my list would by Raceline/Allied or TrailReady.

-----Matt-----

P.S. I just noticed my spam filter has been collecting all the "inbox full" messages, a couple of which were from you. Hop over to PNWJeep or e-mail me at [email protected] if you still have any questions.

; )

i like where you are going with this XJ
i love the dark blue with the chrome grille!
it reminds me of my 82 in wyoming:

82.jpg

i hoped to hear from you after giving props to 'nice people LIKE dustin' in another thread.
you saved the day for me a few years ago josh.. ..let me know if you ever need anything.

actually, my point in that thread was valid about nice people
i had all kinds of help at that nwf from the nwchapter.

i am glad the nw is full of such awesome people!

-andy

Last edited:
; )

i like where you are going with this XJ
i love the dark blue with the chrome grille!
it reminds me of my 82 in wyoming:

82.jpg

i hoped to hear from you after giving props to 'nice people LIKE dustin' in another thread.
you saved the day for me a few years ago josh.. ..let me know if you ever need anything.

actually, my point in that thread was valid about nice people
i had all kinds of help at that nwf from the nwchapter.

i am glad the nw is full of such awesome people!

-andy
Thanks for the props! Everytime I see those pictures of your Jeep makes me cringe but kind of laugh because of your last words before trying to climb that ledge! I like the waggy, it is really clean.

Great choice on tires. I personally think the TG's are fugly and DIY steel wheels just never work for street use. In a 17" rim you have a lot of choices, at the top of my list would by Raceline/Allied or TrailReady.

-----Matt-----

P.S. I just noticed my spam filter has been collecting all the "inbox full" messages, a couple of which were from you. Hop over to PNWJeep or e-mail me at [email protected] if you still have any questions.
Thanks for the info. The steel wheels deffinently are not good for the street with weld on beadlocks. For now I will probably end up without beadlocks to stay in my budget. I can get trailreadys at a good price and I like them quite a bit but will probably need to hold off. I will send you a email if I have any more questions.

It is moving along slow but sure. School, work, other hobbies, and my lady friend all need attention to even though I wish I could just take a few weeks off of everything and Just get it done!

The front axle is done except for link tabs and coil mounts. It is a high pinion dana 44 from a 79 F150 re-tubed and narrowed to about 62". ARB airlocker, 5.38 gears, ARB diff cover with the fancy dip stick, stock shafts with full circle clips and spicer 760's, stage 8 X-lock spindle nut kit, warn premium hubs, and ballistic fab highsteer arms. I built a small truss that ties into the diff cover to. The outers are chevy 6 lug, no more Jeep five lug.
DSC01581.jpg

DSC01582.jpg

The rear axle is a Dana 44 out of a Isuzu Rodeo and has a lockright and 5.38's with stock shafts. I still need to finish setting up the gears and it will be done except for shock tabs and leaf spring perches.

The suspension is all sitting at my work, I have not ordered rear shocks yet because I don't know how I wan't to mount them yet. The front will consist of 5.5 inch rubicon express coils with prothane coil insert bump stops, Fox 2.0 piggyback CD adjustable shocks, and a Rock Krawler 3 link. The rear will consist of rustys 4.5inch leafs, tera flex 1.5inch lift shackles, HD offroad engineering relocation brackets, and Fox 2.0 shocks.

DSC01583.jpg

IMG_2459.jpg
IMG_2460.jpg

I found a set of tires and wheels on craigslis t for $300. 17 inch aluminum wheels with 37 BFG A/T's. I still need to do steering, rock sliders, bumpers, and frame reinforcements around the steering box. I have welded on frame plates from the front bumper mounts all the way to the leaf spring mounts, that was a fun job.

DSC01587.jpg

I thought you were gonna go all gung hoe and use top quality parts, Not some cheap china shocks and plastic diff covers.. how sad...

Now that i know its all garbage, I'll give you $50 for it

Back