• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj still won't start, look at all ive done

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
so i got a 93' xj bought a month ago owner said that it wont start. i find the distributor gear is stripped but the cams still okay. so i bought a new distributor put her in. it ran great idled after i got it timed in correct. then i got on it once round the block and it rev'd up then died. wont restart. so i put a new crankshaft position sensor in. now itll start if i hold the idle over 1000 rpm. but if i go off the gas it dies. what is the problem with this thing? new cap new rotor new plugs new wires new distributor new cps

My guess is that your oil pump has seized. That is what caused the initial distributor gear failure. When you put in the new distributor it turned for a while, then it either destroyed the gear again or sheared the pin holding the gear to the distributor shaft.

Stuck IAC, chewed/broken/rotted vacuum lines--how long was it sitting?

Isn't Windsor the hometown of the infamous "XJChabra" that eats Jeeps? :looney:

How about A bad IAC Motor. Intrake air Control, Is what controls the amount of air heading into the motor at Idle. If it died in a shut position then you would have no air heading to the engine unless you push the go peddle. Just sounds easy enuff to be it. Now the striped gear part I dont think would be caused by the oil pump I mean yes no oil would cause the gear to strip but it would also casue a hell of a lot more problems then that, Like spun bearings loud Valve Train and Dead Motor very Quickly.

Does it run smooth when you hold it at 1000 RPM or does it run like crap. If it runs like crap Disregard what i said, Its most likely another problem. In most cases a vacume leak will cause a High Idle not a no Idle unless its the vacume to the MAP sensor. Then the MAP would See less Vacume then there Should be at Idle and cause the computer to Throw more fuel then is needed.

Let me know what you find
Andy

I'd load test the battery (engine mgmt. hates weak available battery voltage) and also check fuel pressure. May very well not be either of these but the best strategy is to eliminate simple/basic stuff first.

fuel pressures good. fuel filters good. it runes really clean at 1000 rpm so that IAC motor sounds like the culprit. should i go grab a few off some xj's at the junkyard or buy a new one?

fuel pressures good. fuel filters good. it runes really clean at 1000 rpm so that IAC motor sounds like the culprit. should i go grab a few off some xj's at the junkyard or buy a new one?

I'm a big fan of salvage yards!

Back