• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ not running right

chelms27

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have been adding on to a previous thred about my 97 not running well.http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98632

I got it running fine, and started driving home and about 1/2 way home (13miles) the temp dropped all of the way down(off the guage), and it started sputtering and running poorly(it also wouldnt shift into overdrive, the RPM's stayed high) And then I came to a light and it died again. I put the pedal to the floor and got it running again, and the temp shot back up to normal and ran fine the rest of the way home????What to do? could it be the temp sending unit? wiring? the Computer. Any advise wiould be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Chris

Coolant temp sensor is a $15 part, so I'd start there. Even if something else were causing a rich condition, it wouldn't drop the engine temp to 0, so the CTS (or wiring) is likely bad anyway. CTS has a 5v input and is a variable resistor, but I wasn't able to find any values for testing.

Edit: Oh balls, it was on the last page I looked at:

First number is temp in degrees F, second number is resistance in ohms
, + or - about 20%

Last edited:
that really sounds a lot a like a fuel volume/pressure issue. bum regulator, crap in the fuel pickup, clogged filter-something like that. do you get a check engine light? if so, what's the code?

Temp sensor almost surely... think about it. An engine temp CAN NOT DROP TO 0 that fast no matter how the engine dies. Temp sensor controls the computer, controls fuel, tied to everything.

Change the $20 sensor first and check out the wiring while there.

I can warm biscuits on my hood 30 minutes after shutting my engine off!

Thanks a ton guys, I will try the temp sensor, I have the whole TB apart now and I am cleaning every connector and part of the fuel and electrical system. Any more wisdom is still appreciated!
Thanks Chris

even if you unplug the coolant temp sensor, it will not have that effect. on the other hand, it's cheap and easy to get to-so it can't hurt anything. but it's almost impossible for it affect the tuning to the point that the motor will barely run.

Well guys, I cleaned all of the connectors to everything, I cleaned the throttle body and checked all of the vacuum lines, I changed the temp sensor, and I think it worked. It fired right up and runs like new. Now after driving it tommorrow I should know if it did the trick. thanks for all of the very helpful advise, one of the many reasons I love this assosiation.
Chris

Back