• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jam Nut!

I found out why TRE's suck as trac-bar ends. Let's just say it was a frustrating weekend, haha.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a 22mm, fine-threaded jam nut? I've exhausted all my local spots (Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, Tractor Supply, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, and Napa).

Do I really need to find some sort of specialty supply company, or are the Jeep Gods just conspiring against me again?

Thanks in advance!

I just got to ask: what happened to the original nut?

I've never encountered a nut that was more completely seized to anything in my life. If you must know, a 15/16" wrench with a 3' breaker and a half can of PB Blaster resulted in stretching the outer side of the nut around itself...it may as well have been made of lead.

Anyway, we broke out the sawzall, laying the side of the blade on the threads of the TRE, with the business end perpendicular to the side of the nut. Effectively, this shaved off one edge, realeasing the threads. I win.

Me > Jam Nut = the need for a new one

If you don't have a fastenal around, try mcmaster-carr. They have... everything.

(except left hand taps for TRE threading, I found out! Was trying to help someone find one and the only place it was available was ebay, for over a hundred bucks)

No luck at Fastenal. The gentleman said it's between 16mm and 18mm, but has a standard thread pitch of 18tpi (I apologize if the lingo is incorrect). According to Rusty's website, the OD of a stock TRE is 22mm.

:banghead:

Looks like I'll be placing a call to Alabama.

If you don't have a fastenal around, try mcmaster-carr. They have... everything.

Man I hate to break your spirit (I too use to think that), but no they don't. The reason I know this is because I have been looking EVERYWHERE for 7/8" x 18 tpi jam nuts for my TRE's. Evidently 18 is not a thread pitch that they like to put on a 7/8" shaft... even the chevy dealer doesn't have them!

Man I hate to break your spirit (I too use to think that), but no they don't. The reason I know this is because I have been looking EVERYWHERE for 7/8" x 18 tpi jam nuts for my TRE's. Evidently 18 is not a thread pitch that they like to put on a 7/8" shaft... even the chevy dealer doesn't have them!
wow, that's a bit of a surprise. I guess they don't have QUITE everything...

Did some searching though, looks like these guys have them for $4.50 each if you scroll down the page quite a ways: http://www.spidertrax.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.33/.f

EDIT: not sure if that link will stay around or if it's only valid for my session, go to spidertrax.com and search for JMN-7818R and JMN-7818L (right and left threads respectively)

I've never encountered a nut that was more completely seized to anything in my life. If you must know, a 15/16" wrench with a 3' breaker and a half can of PB Blaster resulted in stretching the outer side of the nut around itself...it may as well have been made of lead.

Anyway, we broke out the sawzall, laying the side of the blade on the threads of the TRE, with the business end perpendicular to the side of the nut. Effectively, this shaved off one edge, realeasing the threads. I win.

Me > Jam Nut = the need for a new one

I almost hate to ask...

They weren't left hand threads, were they?

:anon:

Robert

I found out why TRE's suck as trac-bar ends. Let's just say it was a frustrating weekend, haha.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a 22mm, fine-threaded jam nut? I've exhausted all my local spots (Home Depot, Lowe's, Ace, Tractor Supply, Advance Auto, Auto Zone, and Napa).

Do I really need to find some sort of specialty supply company, or are the Jeep Gods just conspiring against me again?

Thanks in advance!

Thats why I am ordering one of these tomorrow! :D http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STBCK

You could try one of these to get rid of the TRE altogether! http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...n=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SDSTBU

Try King Bolt in Covina, on the border of Glendora. They are on Grand Avenue. They stock a lot of specialized hardware for off-road and bikers.

if its the same tie rod end that rusty's uses on there hd steering it's 11/16. i had a similar issue with a jam nut on my steering. and due to the fact that rusty's has incredebly high shipping that 1 nut would have cost nearly $20 from them. i got a 6 pack of them shipped for less that $12 from speedway motors. i still have 5 of them so if you can't find any locally let me know and we can work something out for 1

Back