• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny install

kdub41

NAXJA Forum User
can you take out a 2wd tranny and bolt a 4x4 tranny straight into a 2000 cherokee sport? or do i need any adapter plates and what not?? just need to know because i will be converting my jeep to 4 wheel here asap and just trying to get some pointers.
thanks for all the help on here and all you guys are so helpful thanks alot!:yap:

sooo glad to finally be a part of the jeep world

It should just bolt in, but the speed sensor will be relocated to the rear of the transfer case. That is the only difficulty you should encounter. Possibly cross member too, but not sure on that.

now do i need a 4x4 tranny or could i bolt up a transfer case to my tranny and get 4x4 out of it?

I knew that question was coming...no, you can't bolt a transfer case to a 2x4 tranny. You would have to change the output shaft and swap the tail cone for a transfer case adapter. Best to find a good used AW4.. usually for $200 or less. Check your local craigslist.

Good to see 5 posts and already a member!

i actually think im gonna go with the nv3550 cuz if i get lockers i dont want all four locked at all times like they would be with a aw4

I would got with the AX15 actually. Heard too many bad things about the NV3550, most drive-ability issues. However, I'm not following your logic on how with a manual one axle will be unlocked vs. with an auto.

I Think he is confusing the transfer case function with the transmission.

OP, if you have a 242 t/c, and you want lockers in the front and rear, then you have to give up full-time 4x4, or you can just lock the rear and continue to use the full-time function.

If you have a 231 t/c then there is no problem locking front and rear.

I think so too, but OT i don't see the problem using the 242 with lockers or posi tractions units. It may equate to a bit weird handling in the wet but I don't see that big of a deal. I know of 3 people that have 242s and true tracs in the front with true tracs in the rear or a locker in the rear that don't have issues. The 242 will still let the drive shafts slip between each other in full time 4x4.

ax15 is a manual transmission, yes.

ok so i need to get a nv3550 trans and a np231 transfer case and i called a junk yard and they said 700 for the trans and 600 for the transfer case. that is a bunch of horse shit lol i can pick up a transfer case for 150 to 250 and a tranny for like 500 i think? am i right?

Wow.. around here the u-pull-it yards charge about 150 for a transmission and 100 for a transfer case. And you get to pick the least abused donor vehicle.

You will also need a manual transmission PCM, which may need to be programed to your vehicle if you have the sentry key system, and you will also need what ever replaces the NSS on a manual transmission. And don't forget all the clutch pedal stuff.

X2 on what JJacobs said, I can get a tranny for 120 (220 if I have them pull it, or 140 if I have them put it on a stand to make removing it easier so I don't have to use my hydro jack) and a transfer case for approx 100 around here. You want a you-pull-it yard for sure, not one of the places that pulls the parts for you.

Another price comparison:
$275 for a high pinion d30, 3.55 ratio, standard auto wreckers
$100 for a high pinion d30, whatever ratio I can find (3.07 or 3.55), sam's pull-a-part literally 100 feet down the same road.

EDIT: if you want to swap to a manual transmission you NEED this howto: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244643796#post244643796

I believe all that info will apply to an nv3550 as well, not sure - some of the attached hardware may differ. Use it as a guideline.

how about some body hook me up with a aw4 tranny and a np231 tc and i will be stoked please help me find one lol

well i want an auto trans so i was gonna go with the aw4 but i was reading some link and they say that that tranny is weak and the nv3550 is a better trans. so its between the nv or the aw tranny? idk which one to go with lol

The AW4 is a strong transmission. The crappy ChryCo ones they used on the Grand Cherokees on some years are the weak ones - one of my friends with a lifted ZJ has had to rebuild his ~3 times in the last two years, I know plenty of NAC guys here on NAXJA who have beat the bag out of their AW4s and still not managed to kill them.

EDIT: I even towed a trailer from Mass to SE Pennsylvania (500+ miles roundtrip) with overdrive and no tranny cooler, lifted, with fluid that started out black and burnt smelling, without fully killing my AW4. It slips a little occasionally when I go from doing 85mph (stock gearing, 32 inch tires) to a dead stop due to overheating. Soon as I get a tranny cooler on it, it should stop doing that. I really shouldn't have left it in overdrive while towing, but I pretty much thought the thing was toast when I started the trip anyways and had already budgeted for replacing it as soon as I got back so I really didn't care if it croaked... think again! It still lives, and gets me to/from work every day.

Last edited:
he has a 2000 with 2wd aw4, anybody know if the sensors are the same from a 91 AW4/231? I have everything(CPS, NSS and somewhere the TCU) from the 91 except the VSS but maybe they are the same, just mine would go into the xfer case, not the trans?

Back