• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Issues

89XJPioneer

NAXJA Forum User
So Im out wheelin tonight park the XJ left it running with defroster on.. I all of a sudden here my cousin yell that the dash was smokin and the truck shut off. Looked at the fuse panel and the spot for the blower fuse melted. Truck has no spark.... where do i start?

with a wiring schematic, figure out what goes to where, and check back once you trace down your circuits that you consider may be the culprit.

Found what burned up.. The switch for the fan hi lo etc. looks burned however the plug is ok... The spot for the fuse also melted but no wiring was burnt..... I still have no spark and cant figure out why.No power to the coil... no power to the coil

Power to the coil through the B latch relay. You have three or four relays on the passenger side fenderwell.

Starting at the relay nearest the firewall, oxygen heater relay, then fuel pump relay, then B latch relay, then a/c relay if so equipped.

Check for power to the B latch relay and work your way back from there.

How about other "switched" circuits? Could have fried the ignition switch/connector at the foot of the steering column.

Power to the coil through the B latch relay. You have three or four relays on the passenger side fenderwell.

Starting at the relay nearest the firewall, oxygen heater relay, then fuel pump relay, then B latch relay, then a/c relay if so equipped.

Check for power to the B latch relay and work your way back from there.

How about other "switched" circuits? Could have fried the ignition switch/connector at the foot of the steering column.

Hit the nail on the head with the ignition switch connector... Thanks!

Hit the nail on the head with the ignition switch connector... Thanks!

Seeing as how you have to fix it anyway, this would be an excellent time to upgrade the power setup to the blower motor and get that load off the HVAC switch. There is a write up with how to install relays and keep the multiple fan speeds. If I can find the link I will post it here.

Winterbeater posted this link in another thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...blown-melted-resistor-switch-wire-fix-580627/

It is on my personal to-do list!

PS--a good practice on newer vehicles is to turn off all accessories BEFORE switching off the ignition. That way the next time you turn the key there won't be a heavy load waiting.

Last edited:
Back