• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 4.0 Key does nothing but doesn't seem like any fuses are blown?

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ has been sitting for over a year with no front axle. It has been exposed to the weather (no doors in front) and has not been sheltered. I have started it every so often and it has been infrequent enough that I usually have to charge the battery.

Yesterday I charged the battery and today tried to start the XJ. Got no response from the key, Nothing on the dash or anything. Doesn't look like any fuses are blown and I don't get any spark when I attach the leads to the battery.

Any ideas? Bad switch?

Have you tested the battery? Check both cables to make sure they are clean at both ends

After it was done on the charger it showed 12 volts on the multimeter. Checked that before I bothered to put the battery under the hood. Haven't looked at cables on the starter side but didn't look crazy corroded at the battery.

You gotta no spark, you gotta open circuit.

Pull the cables and clean both ends, and check the resistance of the cables--they can look good and be completely corroded under the insulation.

You gotta no spark, you gotta open circuit.

Pull the cables and clean both ends, and check the resistance of the cables--they can look good and be completely corroded under the insulation.

while your at it you should check your chassis ground cable for the battery. even from the back of the alternator. If you have a absolutly a no power issue IE: the battery disconnected, those are great places to look.

Back