• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Brakes & Locker

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
Yahoo! I just scored a XJ D44 rear. Now I have a couple of questions for those in the know.

There is a older D44 in the local classifieds that was used in a Willys. It has disc brakes and and older ARB locker. This D44 was a high pinion reverse cut so I didn't want it but I remember reading that even the reverse cut carriers were interchangeable. If that is so, then I would think that the ARB would also be. It also has locking hubs (it was flat towed alot). I could probably pick this up for $500.

I also read somewhere that older ARB lockers had clearance problems at the air line. Is that a worry and how do ARBs hold up.

I can also get a Isuzu D44 with disc brakes for $50 bucks. The discs are missing but I would need new ones for my lug spacing. Anyone know if the basic hardware would be interchangable?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW for you east coasts XJers. I found a couple of XJ D44s on Craigs list in PA and I have some info on one that was on e-bay a couple of weeks ago and didn't sell for $350.

How wide is it? Why not run it on the front of your XJ, and find a rear to match..

The carriers are interchangable and no airline issues with mine.

Which of the ARBs had a problem related to flex that caused the bolts to back out? Was it just in the smaller differentials?

Back