• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33X10.5 or 32X11.5?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
If you had a choice between 33X10.5 tires or 32X11.5 witch one would you chouse and why?

You are asking the wrong question.

Start by describing your rig and how you use it.

What a mall krawler runs is quite different than a rock krawler, mudder, desert, snow, ice, etc.

Ok. I have 6" FT Lift currently with 33X12.5 Toyo AT's. I want to scale down a size on my next set for a few reasons.
1. I dont wheel as much as I did before I had a kid and wife works a lot and I work a lot so I only have time to ride my dirt bike.
2. This is my DD now and I drive the shit out of it so I need it to ride better on the road.
3. I would like more torque to pull my 8X4 trailer with two dirt bikes up to the Tahoe National forest. I am currently running 4.10 gears LSD front and rear.
4. The 33" tires that I currenlty have dont seem to balance at all and they are as loud as a MT.

2 - Depending on where you live in Cali, you might want a narrower tire (doesn't hydroplane as easily, does better in snow, etc etc)
2/3 - 32s will be better for you on this front because they're smaller, so you'll get more torque. Better for towing, better for acceleration merging in traffic, etc.

Other than that, nothing to say really.

If you want more torque, why not 31's. That's just about perfect with 4.10s.

I would get 31"s but I dont want my XJ to look to funky with a tall lift and 31's.

So low noise, comfortable ride, good traction, correct size.

Excessive tire noise is usually an aggressive tread design, alignment, and/or under inflation. You can mitigate some of the tread design noise with siping and choosing tires with less aggressive design, i.e., more treads being less noisy, as in 5 treads less noise than 4 treads.

The smaller the contact patch on the road surface the less rolling resistance, and smaller weighing less means less mass to get and keep moving.

Skinnier tires will give better traction in snow, unless it is deep and hard packed when you would want some flotation.

As far as tire size and your gearing, this site has numerous calculators:

http://www.izook.com/gearcalc.htm

based on the posts I've seen recently, locked dana 35s on stilts with 32s/33s are in style. I'd say 32s though if it's either 32s or 33s and you want more torque.

Here is the major thing to look at. Only a few companies build a 33/1050R15 tire. BFG AT's and Toyo MT's are the only two tires (other than Swampers which don't sound right for this application) on the tire wholesalers sites I've viewed. On the other hand , there are a lot more choices in the 32/1150R15 size both AT's and MT's by various manufacturers. I've been pondering the same sizes for my rig and I'm going to stick with 32's.

32's are also cheaper. BFG and Toyo are very proud of their 33/1050R15 tires.

32's will also help with the towing as others have said.

Keep what you have. IMO neither of the options you listed will be a significant change based on what you are looking for. Get 31" if you really want a DD that won't see much off road use. Otherwise, not worth the coin to change.

Ben

Pantherchams I am in need of new tires at the moment have about 10,000 left.
ChevelleSSLS6 I cant swap to a smaller kit because I have a long arm kit.
I like the Full Traction kit that I have but can not afford to swap gears or axles for a while and am looking for a AT that will be better for DD and towing. I am thinking of a 32X11.5 as there is more rotations per minute than the 33" tires. Using the calculater that Joe Peters gave me neted me at a 31" tire to mach my gearing back to stock. However the 32X11.5 tires are 31.8 in diameter and the 31" tires are 29.6 in diameter. That being said a 32 should be close to spot on.

32x11.5 all the way. Larger contact area and a bit less need for regearing. Also you can lower your rig if you want, a long arm won't stop working or limmit you if you swap in smaller springs. I had my LA at 4ish inches of lift for years. Just adjust your caster accordingly.

Last edited:
33x10.5 SSR's! I think they look sick on a cherokee, I run 35x12.5 SSR's. I lot of people I know run then on there DD F-350's, etc.

Hey nochance9 what springs would be good for DD? It would be nice to lower the front end because the rear has always sat lower than the front. The rear sits about 1" lower than the front.

Back