• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plasma or big grinder in Everett area?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I'm cutting off the LCA mount for my Claytons install...and I've found my 4.5" grinder just isn't cutting it.

Anyone around the Everett area have the proper tools that may work a little better then my small grinder? I obviously can't go to you...since my rig doesn't have the front axle attached. Any help/tips is appreciated.

~Scott

I'm cutting off the LCA mount for my Claytons install...and I've found my 4.5" grinder just isn't cutting it.

Anyone around the Everett area have the proper tools that may work a little better then my small grinder? I obviously can't go to you...since my rig doesn't have the front axle attached. Any help/tips is appreciated.

~Scott

grab some 6011 rod and a couple batteries, it won't look pretty but it will cut.

Sawzall.

-Alex

Tried it. Destroyed 2 metal blades. And it was super super slow. (Wouldn't cut the lca that fast)

grab some 6011 rod and a couple batteries, it won't look pretty but it will cut.

I'm not sure I understand how that works...and it's not like I have car batterys lying around. Can you elaborate?

~Scott

Tried it. Destroyed 2 metal blades. And it was super super slow. (Wouldn't cut the lca that fast)

I'm not sure I understand how that works...and it's not like I have car batterys lying around. Can you elaborate?

~Scott

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/06/emergency_welding_using_a.html

two should be ok, use the welding rod like a torch, it should cut through unibody like butter. it won't be clean but you can grind extra stuff off later. I used a 4.5" grinder and a sawzall when I did mine, it took a little time but it worked

Hmmm...interesting. Not so sure I trust myself trying to figure out how to do that though...hah.

Plus I imagine I'd have to buy rod in bulk for like $20? If that's the case I may as well buy a cheap 8" HF grinder.

~Scott

Scott,
I have not removed LCA mounts, so please take my comments with that in mind.

I don't have a plasma, that would probably be the quickest tool for the job.

My second choice would be a sawzall (sp?). It might be slow but take it at what ever speed your cutting blades are working at. I would use a blade designed for rought cutting metal they should be the fastest.

using a cut off disk on a small grinder (4 or 4.5") would be my next choice.

After you have them cut off, use the grinder with a standard grinding wheel to clean it all up.

I do have a 7" grinder that you are more than welcome to borrow, but I would not recommend it, it would be way to heavy and wouldn't cut any better than a smaller grinder. It is only better when doing work where gravity is your friend!!

You should be fine with your sawzall and grinder if you have decent blades and disks.

Michael

Use a sawzall and cut pieces at a time rather than trying to get right up at the top. It took quite a few blades for me to cut them off, lots of material there.

Use a sawzall and cut pieces at a time rather than trying to get right up at the top. It took quite a few blades for me to cut them off, lots of material there.

Yeah I was amazing how much tougher the LCAs are then any other parts of the unibody...but I suppose that shouldn't be too big of a surprise. I was just hoping someone near by would conveniently have a plasma, as that would be super fast.

The grinder works ok but it's a tight fit in spots, and it's costing me a lot of disc.

~Scott

Hi Scott,

I have done this twice now. A sawzall works fine and should be able to get through relatively easy. It slows down considerably if you get too close to the frame rail... or in to it.

When youl cut them off fly the blade about 5mm from the rail. Ten minutes per side sounds reasonable.

Cheers,
Matt

I used a 4.5" Makita, worked well but took time and strength/endurance to hold it in some funked up positions to get to all of the areas necessary. It is doable with just a grinder, but you have to be patient and willing to get filthy dirty.

Good luck.

Alright...I give in, I'll do the sawzall and grinder approach again today. I put the lower arms on last night and really want to get the rig sitting on the tires today.

Now I just need someone to weld the brackets to the frame...anyone who can lend a hand on that front? It'd be nice if someone had an easily portable welder so I can prep the rails and such as my house to speed things up. :thumbup:

~Scott

Prep the area, (and by that I mean grind down/strip the paint off of the weld bead area too) locate and bolt everything down tight, you can drive it on the street far enough to get somewhere to be welded. I could do it for you, but I don't foresee feeling well enough to stand on my head and crawl around on the garage floor for at least another couple of weeks. If you still need it done in 2 or 3 weeks, let me know.

Doug

Hey Scott maby a 14" cut off saw with a metal cutting blade would work. I work for a tool rental place and have access to many items. Let me know.

Good news...the blades I had in the sawzall apparently were just crap. I put a fresh one in and it cut through like butter. The LCA mounts are now gone. :)

~Scott

Too bad I didn't see this yesterday, I have an Oxy/Acet torch with cutting attachment sitting in my garage gathering dust.

Back