• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shims for a small lift

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Ok most of you know that my Jeep is small. I'm working on making it a little bigger. I was thinking of getting Shims for the rear along with new u-bolts. So what should I shoot for? I have the RE long AAL's (no t-case drop as I want to avoid it) so I was thinking probably 2.5* shims. would this be a good assumption? I have some vibes with them way its setuip now but they are not major.

Measure the angle of the shaft coming out of the transfer case, the driveshaft, and the angle of the pinion, all relative to the ground. With a regular 2-joint rear shaft, you want the pinion to point 1-3 degrees below being parallel with the transfer case output shaft (depending on who you ask); with a CV rear shaft, you want the pinion to point 1-3 degrees below being parallel with the driveshaft itself. All of this is measured at ride height - i.e. with the amount of weight in the vehicle that will be there when you drive it on-road. If you go to coil sprung rear suspension with control arms, links etc all bets are off (no spring wrap to worry about) - but by the time you're doing that, this advice shouldn't be needed ;)

Measure the angle of the shaft coming out of the transfer case, the driveshaft, and the angle of the pinion, all relative to the ground. With a regular 2-joint rear shaft, you want the pinion to point 1-3 degrees below being parallel with the transfer case output shaft (depending on who you ask); with a CV rear shaft, you want the pinion to point 1-3 degrees below being parallel with the driveshaft itself. All of this is measured at ride height - i.e. with the amount of weight in the vehicle that will be there when you drive it on-road. If you go to coil sprung rear suspension with control arms, links etc all bets are off (no spring wrap to worry about) - but by the time you're doing that, this advice shouldn't be needed ;)

This XJ will never see bigger than a 31-32. I would like to get an older one and go like 4 inches on 35's or something but Thats a ways down the road.

Back