• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan control issue?

BSH

NAXJA Forum User
So do ALL old XJs have the symptom of a melted connector block behind the fan control? I went to the boneyard looking for a replacement part because I think mine might be malfunctioning, and every one I looked at had some degree of deformation of the plastic connector block right behind the fan control.

My symptoms: gauges momentarily drop to zero when I turn the heat on from the off position, accompanied by a strong click from the power distribution panel under the hood (maybe normal, 'cause I never would have heard it before?). '96 XJ Country, auto, AC and the works.

Welcome to crappy XJ wiring land! Yes, this is a common problem with the XJs, and I don't think it was ever dealt with, so the late models are probably subject to it too. Best fix would be a rewiring with relays to remove the load from the crummy switch and wiring. Figuring out exactly how so you can have all the speeds I will leave to others on fewer meds than I. Other circuits that are poor--the ignition switch, headlight switch, system grounds, battery cables, positive cable from alternator, and the fog light circuit all pretty much suck a big one. You can alleviate some of the problems with the ignition switch by turning off all accessories before turning the key off, that way the next time you turn the key on there will be a lower load on the switch.

If you search, you can find detailed write ups on adding relays to all speeds of the blower motor. The headlights have the same issue as well and many write ups or the same principles as the headlight issues can be applied to the blower circuits.

Another simpler (but less effective) improvement would be to get rid of the factory plug and splice in individual generic connectors. These would grip the mating connectors better, not be pulling in different directions (as the gang plug does), and get a little more heat dissipating ventilation in to that area.

Edit due to found link to earlier thread. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002774&highlight=blower+relay

Last edited:
Back