• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slight stumble on acceleration..o2sensor related?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
My ride was running fine aside from horrible mileage so I replaced the old factory upstream o2 sensor with a Bosch (the new one is twice the diameter of the old factory one!). It'd been in there since new so it was a major PITA to get loose. I banged on it a bit with a hammer to loosen it up some after PB did nothing, and in the process bent the sensor about 10-15 degrees:twak:.
Frustrated at not getting it to budge , I called the shop and my mech said he'd do it gratis.
Driving to the shop, from a stop with slight acceleration, RPMs and tone dropped briefly a couple hundred rpms and returned then normal till the next stop. On less gentle acceleration no weirdness only on slight pedal from a stop. Not in N or P either. Almost felt like a gear shift but not.

I got the new O2 sensor in (upstream) and drove home. Same weirdness.
Could the computer still be reacting to a damaged sensor? no codes wer thrown.
I've heard about resetting the ECm by discoing the battery, another about retraining by discoing battery and turning key on to drain ECU power then driving "normally" a while. Should I?.

I WOULD think clogged fuel filter or bad TPS but it surfaced after the hammer time lol! (at light steady cruise I swear the throttle goes up and down slightly to my heartbeat. must be dialed tight.)
Thoughts?

Remove BOTH cables from the battery terminals.

Hold the cable ends together for 30 seconds.

Reconnect both cables to the battery.

Post back results.

Roger that, wilco. Instead of toughing them, I could disco the bat a while too right, but for how long? Thanks joe peters! I'll be driving it tonight a few miles. regarding "computer training"...:dunce: any particular way I should drive it the first few times?

Last edited:
Not sure what you are saying? When you hold the battery cables together, after removing both of them from the battery, that will clear the computer. Just drive normally, no special routine.

Disconnecting the terminals and touching them together in effect drains the last bit of power from the computer so it'll restart, right?. Instead of touching them together, would'nt just unplugging the battery' ground and just letting it sit for an hour do the same thing only it'll take a few minutes? thinking it'd short the computer or something. just learning ya know:cheers:...
Edit: can't figure out how to sig, so 96 AW4 231 d35/30 3"Bds on 30's 147,000miles

Last edited:
Think of the electronics as a needing to discharge, like a capaciter, so no, just disconnecting the ground will not clear it. There is no problem touching the cables together, JUST AS LONG AS BOTH CABLES ARE DISCONNECTED FROM THE BATTERY. Not yelling at you, but someone actually decided it was easier to just disconnect one cable and then touch them together. He was not very happy afterward.

Thanks Joe! that appears to have done the trick! took it out for a short drive to the store(5 miles) and back. no stumble:yelclap:. Plus the gas gauge needle didn't move hardly at all. Normally the last few months, there's a marked drop of the needle lately from the trip.
With the new O2 sensor in, the idle is tons smoother when warm, and it's punchier too. The throttle curve seems more linear and not so "curved" after the computer reset.
I'll give it a few tanks and see if the new o2 sensor solves my low mpg issue. It's looking promising so far!
thanks again joe!

Glad you got it. Last time I replaced an o2 sensor on Wife's Windstar the mileage went up 20 percent. It was 10k short of replacement and no codes.

Back