• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shim Removal?

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
So I pulled the axle out (d35 to 8.25 swap I'm sure many of you have seen up here) and the shims are still hanging there on the bottom of the leafs. Not wanting to use the BFH and screw up the leafs, I thought I'd ask first (I had the leafs installed at a shop, remember this is the rust belt!:flamemad:)

I kinda also think that could the shims be held in place by the center leaf spring bolt (the long skinny one)?

I have a SYE/front XJ ds so supposedly I am not supposed to use shims with that setup.

I appreciate the help,
-matt

You've got it backwards. You SHOULD use shims with an SYE to get the axle yolk pointed slightly below (1-2 degrees) the transfer case yolk.

But to answer your question: The shims may be bolted to the spring pack with the center pin.

yes shims should be held in place by the centerpin, you can try to remove the pin with a wrench, but very unlikely. I would cut it, then if needed heat it to remove it from the shim, get some new centerpins and replace them in the spring pack (just had to do this a couple weeks ago). On a side note make sure you clamp the springs together with some clamps before removing anything to hold them together! Good Luck!

you still need shims with a SYE..you want the pinion pointed 2 degrees less then the DS

but if you do need to remove them in the future its easiest just to cut them. usually theyre so rusted that its a real PITA to try to get them with a wrench.

for replacing the center pin i think the best replacement is a grade 8 bolt. ive broken, and seen plenty other center pins broken before leading to fairly big problems. go to lowes, get a bolt with the right diameter, and then use a grinder to make the head a circle so it fits into the perch

Back