• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Attachment

dgwelsh

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, the stock bumper mounts are rusted to death. Replacements are no longer being made or atleast Quadratec hasn't been able to get them for a year. Not a big deal, worst case the local junk yard has a couple XJs.

I would prefer to use something a little more robust than stock. Does anyone have a pic of how they attached their replacement bumper or can it be explained. I was thinking about using the existing holes and mount placement just beefing up the material.

thanks
dgwelsh

I think both AJ's Offroad Armor and Ruff Stuff Specialties make precut rear bumper brackets you can weld onto whatever you want. Of course, this will only work if you're getting/building a custom bumper... if you want stock, the part number for the rear bumper brackets pre-97 is 5502 6265 and the fronts are 5200 0488 and 5200 0489. I can dig up the 97+ numbers if you need em but they seem to have changed between model years so I would need the exact model year to be sure of the numbers being right. Mopardiscountparts.com has the pre97 ones for $27 (rears) and $18.39 (fronts.)

Ok, the stock bumper mounts are rusted to death. Replacements are no longer being made or atleast Quadratec hasn't been able to get them for a year. Not a big deal, worst case the local junk yard has a couple XJs.

I would prefer to use something a little more robust than stock. Does anyone have a pic of how they attached their replacement bumper or can it be explained. I was thinking about using the existing holes and mount placement just beefing up the material.

thanks
dgwelsh

wow, really? i got my new Crown bumper mounts from quadratec, but it was a few years ago. have you tried getting them through Crown directly?

Crown doesn't sell directly to the public. One or two guys on here work for them and will take part orders though.

MY JCR bumper uses plate steel with square tube coming off of it. The plate bolts to the stock mounting points, the tube ataches to the bumper. If you're looking to bolt it to a stock bumper, I don't see why you couldn't put a plate on both ends of the tube.

Here's what I made. If you want it more robust you'll want to also attach it to the hitch bolts underneath.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Thanks guys,

Gaius-thats what I am leaning towards.

Had a thought...most, if not all, of the trailer hitches bolt to the underside of the frame, why can't the bumper do the same? Maybe a combo of underside of frame and stock mounts...it would be sturdy.

again thanks
dgwelsh

Thanks guys,

Gaius-thats what I am leaning towards.

Had a thought...most, if not all, of the trailer hitches bolt to the underside of the frame, why can't the bumper do the same? Maybe a combo of underside of frame and stock mounts...it would be sturdy.

again thanks
dgwelsh
Any good bumper will do that. Especially if it's got recovery points on it. My JCR uses the hitch nutstrips and the stock mounting points at the rear.

Any good bumper will do that. Especially if it's got recovery points on it. My JCR uses the hitch nutstrips and the stock mounting points at the rear.

The Rockhard bumper is the same.

I didn't bother with the stock mounting points, only used the nutstrips in the rail.

Last edited:
Back