• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive Line Angles

Ron Hyslop

NAXJA Forum User
Finally got the spring perches and shock mounts welded to my metric ton MJ Dana 44 limited slip axle, and installed in my 87XJ. I lowered the TC 5/8 inch and rotated the spring perches two degrees down to raise the pinion angle two degrees up before welding. It turned out good, TC yoke angle is 5 1/2degrees down(on level ground with weight on suspension) and pinion is pointing 5 1/2 degrees up(parallel to TC yoke). Drive shaft angle is 11 degrees. That leaves both u-joints in phaze swinging through 5 1/2 degrees. Any body know if the 5 1/2 degrees u-joint angle is excessive. I have a slight vibration with onset at about 65mph.

Finally got the spring perches and shock mounts welded to my metric ton MJ Dana 44 limited slip axle, and installed in my 87XJ. I lowered the TC 5/8 inch and rotated the spring perches two degrees down to raise the pinion angle two degrees up before welding. It turned out good, TC yoke angle is 5 1/2degrees down(on level ground with weight on suspension) and pinion is pointing 5 1/2 degrees up(parallel to TC yoke). Drive shaft angle is 11 degrees. That leaves both u-joints in phaze swinging through 5 1/2 degrees. Any body know if the 5 1/2 degrees u-joint angle is excessive. I have a slight vibration with onset at about 65mph.

Yup, pretty sure 3* is about max.
Simply do a SYE and get a double cardon rear drive shaft, then roll all the angle into the d.c. end at the xfer case.

:)
Fred

Back