• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issues after playing in mud.

Dozer11B

NAXJA Forum User
Well I went out and played in the mud (never again) this past weekend. This is on a 1995 with 2 inches of lift and 31x11.50 tires. Cleaned most of the mud off, but I'm having some issues now:

1. Bit more vibration than I had before. I normally get some vibes from the tires a bit in the mornings until they warm up, but it was pretty bad this evening when I left work. Rough
at low speeds and smooths out at higher speeds. Seems to lessen
when I let off the gas. Feels like it is in the rear of the vehicle.

Possible fixes:
- Clean ALL the mud off the driveshaft.
- Check air pressure in the tires.
- Bad bearings?

2. Check engine light comes on intermittantly.

Possible fixes:
- Any ideas?

well you seem to be luckier than I was the first time I played in the mud...(steering box/alternator/starter) But I would suggest pulling off all the wheels and cleaning them thoroughly and re-balancing them, and also clean the driveshaft off and all that crap as well. It is more likely in the tires/wheels. If that doesn't help we will need more information to diag. it further.

The check engine light-due to it being a '95 you can get flash codes from it, it may be as simple as an 02 sensor disconnected...who knows. You should be able to cycle the key 3 times on and off and the computer will flash the check engine light to announce the code numbers...that will head you in the right direction to diag. it further.

Sweet- thanks on the key code thing.

I was planning on pulling the tires when I clean it some more this weekend.

I'll have the balance on the wheels checked too. Didn't think maybe I threw one of those little balancers or did anything else that may throw balance off........

Ya, you would be surprised on how easy it is to throw them out of balance. Just go ahead and do all that fun $h!t and check back.

It is likely mud in the backside of the wheel(s). Try cleaning everything up and see if it doesn't fix it. I wouldn't expect to re-balance the tires and wheels unless you threw a weight.

Also, next time you have a balance done have them put the weights on the inside of the wheels, they tend to stay on longer when wheeling.

It seems that not very many people take the time to pull and clean their electrical connections and protect them with dielectric grease until AFTER they play submarine with their XJs. Pull your connections apart, blow them out with compressed air, clean them, and use dielectric grease.

Check engine light flashed three times after I turned the key three tims. I searched what it could mean, but I'm seeing numbers as high as 12. Do the number of flashes directly relate to the code number?

Ahh- found something through google. I got flash flash, pause flash.

Seems it will never flash more than 9 times, so maybe I need to get the diagnostic gear to check this better.

1. Could be tire out of balance, u-joint going bad or mud still caked on something.

2. Is related to your oxygen sensor, your code means "21".

I got flash flash, pause flash.
21. Neither rich nor lean condition detected from the oxygen sensor input, or Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range.

21. Oxygen sensor or circuit. O2 sensor or wiring faulty.

1. Could be tire out of balance, u-joint going bad or mud still caked on something.

2. Is related to your oxygen sensor, your code means "21".

21. Neither rich nor lean condition detected from the oxygen sensor input, or Oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range.

21. Oxygen sensor or circuit. O2 sensor or wiring faulty.

that is true if it was read correctly...If I'm not mistaken doesn't the thing flash 5 times to tell you it is in the diag. mode at first...then flashes your codes?

I played in the mud.............. once........... LOL............ similar headaches resulted. Good luck!

Edit: Sorry I didn't have the "same" headaches, so I can't advise, but I did have a tweaked font axle U-joint that caused vibes after the mud.

Last edited:
Hey thanks guys- vibes have gone down after further cleaning of rotational junk.......

Gonna replace the O2 sensor anyway since I'm running rich right now. I'll see if that's the ticket. Thought I read that was a possible culprit for running rich, among other things......

Thanks again.

Hey thanks guys- vibes have gone down after further cleaning of rotational junk.......

Gonna replace the O2 sensor anyway since I'm running rich right now. I'll see if that's the ticket. Thought I read that was a possible culprit for running rich, among other things......

Thanks again.

Thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, o2 sensor are the biggies.

Back