• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Erratic Turn Signal - NOT Multifunction Switch

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
1999 XJ Sport, Automatic

Well the issue has been that the turn signals work when they decide to work. Nothing consistant. The hazard blinkers work, and the turn signals work when they want. But they will sometimes blink normal for 2-3 times than just stop clicking/blinking.

I just replaced the multifunction switch ($88 from the stealership) and they won't take it back after it has been installed. :flamemad: So I now sit with two perfectly good multifuction switches and turn signals that still don't want to work.

What else could it be?

Last edited:
What year vehicle?

Have you replaced the actual blinker module?

It is a 99 XJ Sport. Sorry. I thought that was in my info.

I have not replaced the blinker module. Didn't know of it's existance until you mentioned it. See. That is why I have this sight bookmarked. Thanks. I will look into that.

You can probably sell the multi function switch in your chapter's classifieds section. Maybe not for stealership price, but recoup some of the losses... or keep it as a spare, or ebay it.

I'd also check any connectors and wiring in between - the hazards and the turn signals use the same wiring past the firewall I think, so at least you don't have to trace the wires very far.

The little deal that makes the lights flash. I think you'll need to pull the panel under the steering wheel- I think it's right by the OBD port. Should be a little silver can, about the size of a relay.

Flasher Module
"It is under the driver's side of the dash. You need to remove the panel under the steering column to get to it. It's usually a white box up and to your left after you remove that panel. If you can get your signals to work at all turn them on so you can hear the clicking."

Last edited:
So the Flasher Module might need to be replaced, is what you are saying? But if it was the Flasher Module, wouldn't the hazards be acting the same? The hazards work every single time you turn them on. But the turn signals are the ones with minds of their own.

If the bulbs are good, the grounds are good, and the MFS doesn't cure it, I'd suspect the flasher is bad. I haven't had one fail in years, but they do wear out.

So the Flasher Module might need to be replaced, is what you are saying? But if it was the Flasher Module, wouldn't the hazards be acting the same? The hazards work every single time you turn them on. But the turn signals are the ones with minds of their own.

not if its a combination flasher module with 2 internal curcuits, one for the turn signals and one for the flashers.

The dealership is calling it the Combination Flasher. The FSM calls it the Combination Flasher. Are we all talking about the same thing? The stealership wants $63 for it.

I have been doing searches in the FSM for "blinker module" and it is not finding anything. Is this like the blinker fuel filter?
No, I was being serious. If I wanted to screw with you, I would have told you to check your blinker fluid. :)

not if its a combination flasher module with 2 internal curcuits, one for the turn signals and one for the flashers.
Yep, it was for this reason why I was saying that it should be checked.

The dealership is calling it the Combination Flasher. The FSM calls it the Combination Flasher. Are we all talking about the same thing? The stealership wants $63 for it.

Stop going to the dealership then.

If you want a brand new OEM part it's 5602 1551 from any of the mopar discount sites, but I would suggest going to the junkyard and getting a flasher module or three there.

EDIT: mopardiscountparts.com wants $27.80 for it.

I believe that style of flasher is EP-27, off the shelf. Can someone verify? It's cold and dark out.

edit- I think that's the electronic type, not sure that it matters. kastein?

WHAT!!! The stealership was raping me over 223%:smsoap:

I need that part tomorrow. Any ideas for a discount place in the Kansas City area? I will check my local chapter.
No idea. The only discount MOPAR sites I know of are online order types. And yeah, actually that's more like a $2 part, in quantities of around ten thousand. I don't believe it has anything more than a relay, a diode, an integrated circuit or a few transistors, and some resistors/capacitors/other stuff in it - and it may be a good deal simpler than that. Similarly, a TPS is just a variable resistor with a durable waterproof :)roflmao:) housing on it - a $3 part that everyone sells for $40-50. Automotive electronics are a ripoff, moreso once you understand how simple most of them are.

Grab yours, and head to the store. Looking at the terminals on the flasher, do they look like a standard 5 pin relay? That same flasher is probably in millions of cars. With the Chrysler number, you should be able to cross reference it. Never trust a parts guy at a chain store. Always look.

FL27 at Autozone.
EP27 at NAPA, Advance, Kragen, Oreilly
Kragen/oreilly also lists EFL16, FC649

Last edited:
Back